PDA

View Full Version : SURGING ONLY WHILE ON COLD ADVANCE

84 C2B2
02-10-2005, 21:05
Hi all,

Just got my beast fired up after an extensive overhaul. New everything for the engine. I haven't checked my timing or RPM's yet but she will surge only during initial startup/cold advance. Might die also unless i Keep he rpm's up. I've read previous posts on CDR's, plugged supply/return lines. This truck has the Banks turbo with the pump turned up 1/4. EGT's are a bit high also. Any ideas here?

Jerry

britannic
02-11-2005, 06:37
The HPCA advances the timing approximately 6*, so you may want to check your timing with the HPCA disengaged and to see if IP is already too advanced.

john8662
02-11-2005, 06:38
Surging is usualy an indicator air getting into the system, and it usually happens right after a new injection pump install. Install a clear 1/4" hose on the fuel return of the injection pump, and see what kind of air you see. If there is a little bubble that shows up right after starting it or you can see air steadily, then you have a problem. But a small bubble after hours of shutdown isn't a problem.

The EGT's are probably due to your timing setting, I'm just guessing here, because I haven't turbo'ed any of my 6.2's (but sure have the plans to). But timing is critical, too much advance and too much heat, same goes with the engine being too retarded. Start at 3.5 BTDC and see where that puts you.