PDA

View Full Version : oil guard opinions

fourtenposi
07-20-2005, 17:35
I wanted to see if anybody was using those oilguard systems and if so what they though of it. I just purchase a 2005 2500hd d/a and I would like extend its life as long as possible. I was looking into all there stuff from the fuel filter, to their oil filters and the filtration system so any information would be great. I also like how they provide you with the oil analyse kits with the filters.

Thanks

JD Diesel
07-20-2005, 18:28
amsoil has an excelent by pass filter system that comes in dual remote or single remot. JD ;)

jbplock
07-21-2005, 05:08
Two common Oil Bypass Filter choices for the Duramax are the Oil Guard and the AMSOIL dual remote. Both are good choices (IMHO). There are other choices as well. I've had an Oil Guard on my 03 for over two years (40k miles) and it's been working well. UOA's are excellent and the oil even looks clean on the dipstick.

http://thumb3.webshots.com/s/thumb1/6/68/83/74166883ZQtfsc_th.jpgOil after 3k miles - click for larger pic (http://community.webshots.com/photo/65003591/74166883ZQtfsc)

See the following links for some more info

Jim Brzozowski
07-21-2005, 08:30
I've had the oil guard on my 02 for about 3 years now. Works great, oil looks clean soooo much longer on the dipstick. I suspect it pulls a lot of the soot out. When I remove the oil guard filter its nasty nasty black on the outside. There are different ways of mounting them and returning the oil to the engine. I mounted mine on the transmission crossframe and bought an extra oil filler cap and got a guy at the shop to drill and tap it so that I dump the cleaned oil back in at the front of the engine as it runs. Thats got to be one of the better ones. That way I can take the cap off, put it in a container and put the original cap back on and start up the truck and watch it fill the container and check the flow rate of the bypass filter. Works great. I'd recommend one.

jbplock
07-21-2005, 15:52
Originally posted by SoTxPollock:
... There are different ways of mounting them and returning the oil to the engine. I mounted mine on the transmission crossframe and bought an extra oil filler cap and got a guy at the shop to drill and tap it so that I dump the cleaned oil back in at the front of the engine ... Dittos

Jim Brzozowski
07-22-2005, 08:42
I don't have a swivel connection on mine. The hose is flexible enough that it just goes with the cap as you take it off. Nothing to disconnect.
I guess I could have tried a swivel, but didn't want any seepage at all up front there, and so far its dry as can be. Where ever you mount it, be sure and check out the amount of room you'll have to get to it and change the filter without too much inconvienence. A little planning goes a long way.