PDA

View Full Version : Grease experts ????

Dvldog 8793
07-09-2005, 04:49
Howdy
I am in the middle of an arguement and thought "what better place to find an EXPERT personal opinion than on the DP!" Anyways the question is what is better for general purpose equipment/chasis grease, synthetic or the good old Moly stuff? Some say that the new synthetic doesn't have the water displacemnt of the Moly lubes but then it normally does have better pressure/temp ratings.
Any Input?????
Thanks
L8r
Conley

5.7L oldsdiesel
07-09-2005, 05:05
I find the moly grease to be the best of all.Just my opinion.I had a tube of moly grease at one time that was superslick and stringy.It was unlike other tubes of grease i had purchased.If i remember the brand of grease,i'll be sure to post back.

JoeyD
07-09-2005, 08:13
I have been using Mobil 1 grease on my truck since new and made it to 100,000 miles before the front end needed work, upper ball joints and tie rods, pitman and idler arm. I do commercial plowing with a very heavy plow and plenty of 4x4 use in the summer. I have used it on my last 2 vehicles and always performed well.

tom.mcinerney
07-09-2005, 18:53
I thought the Moly grease was specifically designed for EP extreme pressure. Different moly lubes have different amounts/proportions of the moly additive, which is expensive. I think synthetic or marine is better for apps where resisting water is important.

I definitely can't answer your question, tho!

Hansh
07-10-2005, 04:36
I use Amsoil grease. Have only replaced the upper ball joints at about 230k. They were still original equipment. Replaced a tie rod when I bought the truck about 80,000 miles back, otherwise nothing else in front end. I have also used it for the throwout bearing fork pivot since I replaced it with a new one.

Grease is like oil, everyone will have an opinion as to what is best. What is best is to make sure it gets greased on a regular basis.

David Proske
07-10-2005, 05:30
I do not like the Mobil 1 grease because it seperates. The oil runs out of the grease gun and all over my shelving. I am glad I wrap my grease gun in newspaper or it would have made a bigger mess.

I like Valvoline Durablend and Shaeffers 221-2 and 274. I have also been using 238 but it may be too stiff for colder climates.

The Shaeffers 221-2 is a moly syn blend grease, never heard anyone say anything bad about it.

LanduytG
07-10-2005, 05:32
I can't say about other brands but if you are wanting a general purepose grease with water water washout resistance, Amsoil makes one.
Synthetic lubes in general are better aall around lubricants.
Greg

PDOUGLAS
07-10-2005, 07:15
I have worked on heavy eqipment fr over 30years and have over 240000 miles on my 1994 6.5 with no repairs to the steering or undercarrage. I do a lot of towing and off road the best gease I can fined is Molly

Shuck
07-26-2005, 10:43
David,

My Mobil 1 grease did the same thing. I DIDN'T have anything to catch mine. What a mess!

Will just get regular stuff next time.

Ryan

Cowracer
07-26-2005, 10:46
Ryan,

What part of the "Lou" are you from?

Where did you go to high school? LOL!

Tim

RT
07-26-2005, 18:00
I have been using Mobil1 for years. When I got my truck it had 118K and a bad upper balljoint from a torn boot. I replaced that and nothing else yet. 220K now and everything is still tight. For that I can deal with the red goo that leaks out of the greasegun. I have recently changed to Amsoil because I couldn't find the Mobil1. I expect similar results with the Amsoil product. RT

Dvldog 8793
07-26-2005, 18:21
Howdy
Thanks for the input! I am probably going with a synthetic with moly additives for my truck. All my equipment will probably get lubriplate Moly.
Thanks again!
L8r
Conley