PDA

View Full Version : IP Swap

Fry
07-09-2005, 01:33
Has anyone tried to install a mechanical IP in the place of an electronic IP. If so, what conversions must be made and how does this effect the vehicles computer. I know that this has probably been discussed before.

BUZZ
07-09-2005, 04:58
A few have made this change, successfully. Do a search. I know you need the IP, injector lines, throttle pedal and cable, and I think a tach pick up for the trans computer.Those that have done it like it.
Buzz

5.7L oldsdiesel
07-09-2005, 05:01
If you have a manual tranny,the swap will be a breeze to perform.With the automatic,you'll need a special transmission controller to make the 4L80E shift properly.One of the sponsers here offers that controller.I think its from powertrain solutions.The mechanical DB2 will bolt in fine in place of the DS4 version.I like the older DB2 pumps myself personally.

DickWells
07-10-2005, 17:19
Hello Fry:
You're right, it has been done. A lot. I did it a year ago to my 95 Sub. 2500 with the 4L80E transmission. That brings to mind the first question. What year is your unit? Like the man said, if you have a manual gearbox, it's easier. I contacted the people that sell the stand-alone transmission computer. All told, it will cost you around $850 to go that way. I went my own way, and used a good-ol throttle cable and Accelerator Pedal Position combo that I rigged up by myself. To me, it works just fine. I usually lift my foot at about 15 mph to shift from 1 to 2 and again at about 22 - 25 mph for 2 to 3rd. Now, that's with a 95. I think that some changes were made in 96, because they use a Tech 1 to diagnose a 95 and a Tech II, or equivalent for the 96-99. (I think?) Anyway, there could be issues. Once the mechanical pump is in and working, the Tech tools are pretty much not needed any longer. I've ignored the SES light for over a year now!
Jim Bigley's books on Feature Articles and Product Reviews are a great help in these projects. In fact the data that you can get from the DP and other members is a must for amatures, like me.
I have sent out the sketches and written descriptions for my throttle conversion to a couple of the guys, but have been unable to copy them over to the DP at this point. Can't say that it's a simple and cheap thing to do on a large scale, with postage, etc. But, I'd be willing to do it one more time, if I felt quite sure that the guy I was sending it to was actually going to use the info and see the project through. Let me know, here, and I'll give you my e-mail address, etc., so that I can send the stuff out.
I almost forgot! I love the DB2 conversion. No more hickups that send your heart up into your throat when you're 2500 miles from home. Instant starts. (I mean like, Chu-Chug-Vroom, instead of Chug-Chug-Chug-Chug-Vroom). I always glow, by the way. I got the best increase in power with the mech. pump, of all the mods I've done. But, my pump is a 4911, set up like a marine pump, with oversize rotor,etc. I've put on about 19000 miles with the mechanical pump, with NO issues.
A lot of the details, like the fuel lines to use, the way the boost can be made to work, the way to hook up an after-market cruise control, and on, and on, can be done right here on the Forum, just by asking. So, don't be shy, and don't chicken out. If I can do it, any wrench-head can do it.
Regards, Dick Wells

dandl
08-05-2005, 16:08
I would also like to explore the option of converting my DS4 electronic pump to a mechanical
pump. Mine is in a 1996Z71 on its 2nd IP and
probably the 3RD FSD that I know of. I love the
diesel engine but I hate the unreliable IP.