PDA

View Full Version : New '05 DMax - Strange Noise

Fishman95129
06-30-2005, 08:35
Took advantage of the employee pricing and upgraded from a Toyota Tundra to a Chevy Duramax Diesel. Very stoked to say the least. I've noticed a strange noise the last couple of days and wanted to see if it's a normal sound in these engines. For some reason I don't remember hearing it when I was test driving the truck. It

D-max Man
06-30-2005, 09:08
Sounds like you might have a slight exhaust leak.

More Power
07-01-2005, 13:46
What you're hearing may be due to a reduction in pilot injection during higher power/higher rpm driving conditions. Do a search here in this forum for the keywords "pilot injection". You'll have lots to read.... smile.gif

MP

dinoace
07-01-2005, 15:52
It took me a while to get used to all the differant noises that a LLY diesel makes as compared to a LB7. One of the strangest was on hard to moderate acceleration its sounds like a valve or lifter hanging up, I even drove other LLY diesels to be sure it was not just mine.

kylant
07-02-2005, 08:01
newbie here,

I am in the exact same situation as Fisherman. I too took advantage of employee pricing and traded my 05' Toyota Tundra double cab for a new 2500 HD D/A combo :D

However I have the same noise, it sounds to me like a bearing going bad on a gas engine. it varies with acceleration. when I have my foot into is and the turbo is winding up, i don't hear it as much. the noise sounds like it is coming from direcly behind the radio. I looked in the engine bay and it looks like that is where the turbo lives? I even drove another D-max at the dealer, I could hear the noise but it was much less noticeable.

Any ideas? I only have 220 miles on the clock, does this noise change over time?

thanks

madmatt
07-03-2005, 17:17
it seems to me that LLYs w/ higher miles have less pronounced pilot injection noise.

Fishman95129
07-05-2005, 16:07
Kylant,
Let me know if you find out what's causing this noise. My dealer said it's just normal diesel sound and to try and ignore it. :confused: Not sure if I by it as my buddies '05 DD does not make the same sound

kylant
07-05-2005, 18:09
I had my sevice manager take it for a spin and he said the noise I am hearing is normal for the turbo. I was not convinced, so I went to another local dealer and played the "I'm looking for a new truck game" and drove another D-max. That one has the exact same noise, so I am begining to think that it IS normal.

good luck

32dominator
07-06-2005, 02:47
I took my 04 in for the same noise, they said it was normal. Sounds like an old mechanical typewriter. It will eventually go away, at least mine did.

kylant
07-06-2005, 11:21
my noise sounds like a bearing going bad. it reminds me of when an alternator bearing goes out or like a heater fan bearing going. same type of noise.

mcmonroe
07-07-2005, 15:10
Hey Fisherman and Kylant,

I thought that those new Toyota's were supposed to be wicked trucks. Both of you had very new ones and traded them off.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts and ideas on the Toyota trucks and perhaps you reasons on moving away from them?

Thanks,

Mark

kylant
07-08-2005, 05:23
Mark,

I loved my Toyota, 2005 Double Cab loaded. However it could not tow my boat. I only have a 21ft ski boat. the boat and trailer only weigh approx 5000 lbs. the toyota did fine power wise, but the suspension could not handle the weight. the boat swayed so bad and the truck sagged it was downright dangerous. I felt very unsafe. I have seen 2 fatalities from over loaded trucks with swaying trailers and I did not want to risk it. I added and add-a-leaf and a sway bar to the truck, helped some but not enough. I was looking at helper springs and weight distributing hitches, but I could not find one hitch that would mount properly to my boat trailer.

When I had my '02 2500 HD with the 8.1L I could not even tell the boat was behind it.

So with the GM incentives, the toyota being so new and in demand, and the deal I worked out (only lost a little on trade), I said "why not?"

I am so glad I got this new truck, it is awesome! :D

Fishman95129
07-08-2005, 08:28
My Tundra was a 2000 with over 125K miles. Great truck but I wanted a larger cab and more towing power. The early model Tundra's have suicide doors which in my openion are worthless. Very hard to get in and out of when a car is parked next to you.

[ 07-08-2005, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Fishman95129 ]

Sheldon Kuhn
07-08-2005, 20:22
With my 04.5 LLY I heard a ticking noise sometimes when it was idling and new. The noise disappeared after some miles put on it. Haven't heard it since.