PDA

View Full Version : 98 black smoke at idle

4.3dieseljeep
07-08-2005, 05:14
I have a friend that just rebuilt his 98 k3500 engine. Old one had block cracks. The engine smokes black at idle and under power. It is worst when hot. Engine runs nice, had the timing checked at the dealer, They said it was at 3.5 total. They didn't state what tdc off set was. The truck is all black on the side due to the soot. Any ideas?

MTTwister
07-08-2005, 11:43
Sounds like too much fuel, aka lack of boost. Go throught the turbo check procedures -
Can you move the wastegate lever easily when it's idling? If so - need vacuum. Vacuum @15# to the wastgate actuator? if so - then scratch head. IF not: vacuum 20# from pump to solenoid? if not Then check for cracked vacuum lines, and or the wastegate solenoid needs serious looking at. could be broken wire to solenoid, or Bad Solenoid. ( take it out and spank it smile.gif ). Good Luck

BE Johnson
07-14-2005, 10:37
I just went through that, One thing you need to check is your oil pan.) You have a vacum on top next to cover of the engine, replace it if no vacum or if gate not opening. IT has two small hoses attach to it. $35.00 part. If you have lots of miles pull you oil pan. I just spin 4200.00 on my 98 cause from oil pan clouging up the oil pump. My trailer is white turn black. I had the oil change 700 miles earler. when we pull the pan it was full or mud like oil. Engine lock up. Good Luck

4.3dieseljeep
07-15-2005, 16:55
The problem is under no load, just sitting idling,