PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Duramax Injectors outside the USA

PortCity05
06-24-2005, 01:10
G'day
We have a classic case of faulty injectors on a 2001 Duramax diesel outside America.
I called GM's customer service where I was told they do not warrant their products outside the US.
There is no authorised GM sevice centre in Australia to look after this problem.
I have had a local GM convertor promising me he is getting me a set under warranty but after 8 weeks waiting I think he is full of **** & he has stopped returning my calls.
Does anyone know how to get around this problem without having to pay top dollar for a set of new injectors.
Is there an easy way of locating a leaking faulty injector without replacing the lot.
Thanks heaps for any advise
regards Terry.

Kennedy
06-24-2005, 06:02
I believe that exports typically carry an amended (or none) warranty. This could be especially true if it was not exported by/to an authorized dealer, but I am no expert.

Based on the history of these injectors, I'd suggest doing a full set replacement to avoid going back in again later. GM originally played the onesy-twosey game, but later broke down and did all 8 especially of there was fuel in crankcase or excessive return fuel as these are suspect victims of ball seat erosion or cracking of the bodies. I have a good source for all of the parts that you may need. I'll check with him on what the warranty is as I know he has some overseas.

DmaxMaverick
06-24-2005, 06:34
I can't believe GM would leave its customers hanging like that, no matter where they are. There has to be some place near you that does handle these issues. I suggest getting on the phone with GM, and staying there until you get the right answer.

As far as only replacing the one injector, that would not be a good idea. If you have to pay for the injectors yourself, you can get them at 1/3 the cost GM bills them for. Many of TDP advertisers may be able to help with this. Once you get to one injector, the rest are a piece of cake, since you are already in there. The difficult part of the repair is access, not the actual replacement. If you don't have a GM shop manual, get a subscription with Alldatadiy.com . They have, online, all the GM shop manual info for $25 US per year. I got tired of waiting for Helm to get the manuals available and went this route, and have not been dissapointed.

On the 2001, if you have one injector fail, the rest will soon follow. Bank on it. If you do the work yourself, or if someone does it that doesn't have GM in their corner, you must follow the procedures to the letter. Leave the shortcuts to the guys that have done a dozen of them. The job isn't hard, just time consuming and tedious. I haven't done it myself, yet, but have observed several, including the dealer do my own. You also have the support of several GM dealer tech's available to you here on TDP. If you don't have to be in a rush, use the time to do it right.

You may be able to get a reimbursement of parts/labor from GM once you have done it. If GM's explanation of "no one there to do it" is what they are standing on, use it against them. The language of the warranty does not specify the vehicles have to be sold in the US, or anywhere, for that matter. I just don't believe GM doesn't have a policy to handle international issues. I'm sure they've got a bunch of them outside the US. If you have a GM dealer near you, even if they are not authorized to do the repair, be sure to at least get it documented through them. The time, mileage, and conditions need to be on record.

Where is the nearest "authorized shop"? It may be feasible to transport the truck there, compared to paying for the entire job yourself, if it comes to that.

Stay on top of this. I really hate to see someone get the short end of the stick, regardless of where they are. There has to be a solution.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Jim Brzozowski
06-24-2005, 08:30
Hey Terry, maybe there may be someone on the diesel page that has done a lot of these replacements who would like to vacation in Australia for a couple of weeks. Of course getting the tool case and luggage through security and customs might take some doing these days. Incredible to think no one sells and services GM in Australia. Wish I could help, but I not done one of those, but reading through the service manuals tells me its a time consuming tedious and you'd better get it right the first time on an LB7 engine. Wish you the best of luck. Hope someone can help.

GMCHORSHAM
06-24-2005, 23:58
Terry, Have you tried the conversion guys in Hamilton.
I tried to assist the local Ambulance mechanics
to get warrenty 2 years ago with the 6.5TD Injector pumps.
I was able to source the GM warrenty info for them from TDP. Letters were sent to GM and my understanding was they ran into a brick wall, with GM quoting the same reason that you mentioned.
If I can be of any assistence contact me on
rodlynne2@bigpond.com I am only approx 200klm away.
I agree with DmaxMaverick's post,
A GM is a GM, regardless of which country it may be in, (Isn't this discrimination ??)
Heads up, there has got to be a solution to this problem.
Regards. Rod.

G. Gearloose
06-25-2005, 03:33
Imagine if toyota and datsun pulled this stunt here one-two-three decades ago....they would still be a novelty instead of spanking the big three.
No wonder Gm is tanking. what embarrassing fools.

PortCity05
06-25-2005, 23:22
Thanks for all your replies
You have convinced me of what I initially believed, GM needs to come good on the issue of faulty injectors admitting it is a problem and giving a 7 year 200,000 mile extended warranty #04039 it should not be restricted to the USA.
It does'nt matter what country we are in and if diesel fuel was a problem in Australia every manufacturer would be having problems not just GM, GMH (General Motors Holden) sells diesel vehicles in Australia.
After all this truck travelled 96,000 miles in the US & has only travelled 104,650 miles in total now.
I will persue this issue with GM & keep you all informed of the outcome, Please keep intouch if anyone has any remarks on this issue.
regards Terry.

Kennedy
06-27-2005, 05:25
The only way to really know what warranty is on your vehicle is by the VIN# as I understand.

DmaxMaverick
06-27-2005, 11:46
Good point, JK.

The bulletin states the VIN's that are effected. Post your VIN # to verify it is included in the campaign. Several of us here have access to the VIN # ranges that are included.

The TSB also includes a reimbursement claim form, but the language appears to only apply to repairs made prior to May 25, 2004.

tatkinson
06-28-2005, 12:29
Terry, We rode all over Kangaroo Island in a 6.5 TD Holden Suburban a few years ago. The outfit we went with had a fleet of them. Maybe the Holden dealer that services K.I. would be more receptive?

PortCity05
07-01-2005, 22:20
Hi
Well all the drama in getting a set of injectors under warranty seems to have been resolved.
I contacted Neville Field in Hamilton, Victoria & explained the situation, He rang me the next day & told me he has a set on the way.
When he gave the parts guy in the USA my VIN number he said there is also a warranty on the tail gate straps & is sending them as well.
The only reason I did not get Neville to case up the injectors originally was he was in the US himself at the time.
Thanks for all your replies & information.
regards Terry.

GMCHORSHAM
07-01-2005, 23:59
Good news Terry, glad to hear that Neville in Hamilton, could provide the goods.
I had heard positive report about Neville, however couldn't say the same about their Saleman at that time. Incidently I purchased my Truck from the Hamilton business, and chose not to patronise them after the less that average service received from their Car saleman.
Any way good news, We may cross paths someday.
Have Fun, Safely.
Rod.