PDA

View Full Version : Over heating

Reggie Turnage
06-18-2005, 12:28
I have read that there are some overheating problems with the later models while towing. Do any of you know if this should be concern in buying a new D/A. I am suppose to pu a 05 3500 4x4 crew cab wed. I have a 02 2500 that has never given me Any problems even in the mountains in the summer. I sure don't won't to trade into a problem. thank for any information on this.

SatchMax
06-19-2005, 07:12
I just traded my 02 ccda dually for a 05. I also was not having any problem with overheating or the fan clutch engaging. I drove 350 miles to get my fifth wheel and never heard the fan clutch engage while not towing anything. Hooked onto the trailer and drove back and the fan clutch was in and out more so than out 02 dually pulling the same trailer on the same road. My son have a 03 and his fan clutch is in and out also. One of our Chevy house says everything is ok with the truck, but when the clutch comes on it is nosey and takes away hp. Is there any thing that can be done to stop this?
Thanks
SatchMax
Lubbock, Texas

Kennedy
06-19-2005, 07:13
I've heard tell of this in some areas, and observed warmer operating temps on my 05 than my 02, but haven't seen things get out of line yet...

fishhead1076
06-25-2005, 15:27
In the hill country here in Texas last weekend with my 04 lly towing my 28' 5er, man is this fan annoying. Every time the thing would cycle (3/4 of the trip) it felt as if someone was pulling the rig back and fuel consumption would go out the roof! I am curious if I were to add an intake and exhaust kit to the P/U if it would help. I am desperate, and will try anything!

fishhead1076
06-25-2005, 15:28
I forgot to mention, tranny temp and engine temp never moved he whole trip!

SatchMax
06-26-2005, 18:56
Fishhead
Do You have a larger exhaust on Your truck. I am wondering if they need the larger exhaust to keep the temp down so the fan will not come on. My new 05 is doing the same thing pulling my 31ft fifth wheel. I never had this problem my 02 ccda dually with the juice and a 4" exhaust. Have not put the chip in yet and this new truck has the special emmision or califorina emmisions or special emmisions for big cities or what ever GM calls it. Would like to know if the larger exhaust will help.
Thanks
SatchMax
Lubbock, Tx.

fishhead1076
06-26-2005, 20:51
No exhaust yet! With the new emmisions coming down the pipe, I'll have to leave in the cat and curious if I'll get the whole benefit of the mod. I just rolled 20k on my rig and fixing to go to royal purple and and intake for starts. Exhaust and juice w/attitude later, just gotta get the fan to calm down!