PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting High Idle Speed

Minn-kota
06-01-2003, 10:04
Tomorrow I'm taking my 03' in to have the high idle setpoints changed. I'm also having the high beam indicator light dimmed so they'll have the Tech 2 hooked up anyway. The 1200/1700 is a little high for my taste, so I'm going to have them knock it down some.

Is there anything I need to tell them regarding changing these settings via Tech 2? I made a print-out from the GM Upfitter website of the procedure to make the adjustments and they told me to bring it in because they don't have any idea on this.

Is GM Upfitter a branch of GM? I think they may feel better about doing this if these are valid instructions from GM rather than some 3rd party. They seem hesitant about making the adjustments and have never done it before so I'm trying to coax them a little.

Thanks.

mdrag
06-01-2003, 16:32
Minn-kota,

The GM Upfitter instructions should be all they need to set/change the high idle speeds. I know this works on the '01 and '02 trucks, not sure about the '03. Make sure they use the PRESET PTO SPEED CONTROL mode options and NOT the VARIABLE PTO SPEED CONTROL mode options. I've not been able to get my truck to work using the variable option.

Using the Tech2:

1) Select the Diagnostics option from the Main menu.
2) Select the Model Year from the Vehicle ID menu.
3) Select the LD Truck, MPV, Incomplete option from the Vehicle ID menu.
4) Select the Powertrain option from the System Selection menu.
5) Select the Engine type from the Vehicle ID menu.
6) Select the Transmission type from the Vehicle ID menu.
7) Select the Special Functions option from the Powertrain menu.
8) Select the PTO options from the Special Functions menu. The Current PTO settings screen will be displayed.
9) Press the Change Options key and then select the desired PTO Operating Mode.
10) Select F1 : Preset PTO Speed Control

Change the necessary parameters:

PTO Fast Idle Option Pre set
PTO Max. Engine Speed 2200* RPM (max 3100)
PTO Stand by Speed 800-850* RPM (max 1300)
PTO Set Speed 1250* RPM (max PTO Max. Engine Speed)
PTO Resume Speed 1700* RPM (max PTO Max. Engine Speed)
PTO Max. Engage Speed 1000* RPM
PTO Engine Shutdown No
PTO Engage Relay No
PTO Feedback No

The above *RPM values are guidelines/factory settings. Be careful setting the MAX ENGINE SPEED, When the PTO settings are initially read, the PTO Max. Engine Speed setting may show a value of 6000+ rpm, and you don't want it that high for obvious reasons -> ask Kennedy about that :eek:

Standby speed may not work properly on '02 and '03 trucks - so you may only have two high idle speeds, and select the RPM speed to suit your preferences.

I've noticed that when I change RPM settings, they do not take effect until the ignition is cycled on/off. This caused some head scratching...Good luck.

Minn-kota
06-01-2003, 18:01
Thanks mdrag.

I was questioning that last statement about the PTO Max Engine Speed possibly being 6000 rpm. If it does show 6000 on the Tech 2 should it be changed to 1000 then?

mdrag
06-01-2003, 22:46
YES!!! Change it. The first time I used the Tech2 to program the high idle speeds, 6000+ RPM showed up as the default for the PTO Max. Engine Speed on my truck. I don't know the explanation, but it appears that once you mess with these options, the settings become active, and that 6000+ RPM setting will surely get your attention quickly.

Kennedy posted a warning about this some time ago, otherwise it would have caught me by surprise :eek:

mdrag

ON EDIT: Change it to 2200 RPM or so. If you set it to 1000 RPM, then you will not get a high idle speed above 1000 RPM regardless of your SET or RESUME choices. One would think that GM would change the default setting to a more sane number, and maybe they have for '03.

[ 06-01-2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: mdrag ]

Minn-kota
06-02-2003, 06:30
Originally posted by mdrag:
ON EDIT: Change it to 2200 RPM or so. If you set it to 1000 RPM, then you will not get a high idle speed above 1000 RPM regardless of your SET or RESUME choices. One would think that GM would change the default setting to a more sane number, and maybe they have for '03. [/QB]That's what had me confused.....How you can have a idle speed greater than 1000 with that set to 1000 rpm......That's why I asked about setting it to 1000. Just want to have all my ducks in a row before I go to the dealer today.

Thanks

johnpugh
06-02-2003, 06:59
I watched the guy do mine. IIRC, he was able to set the engine speeds in 25 rpm increments. In fact, by standby speed is 950 rpm and my set speed is 1400 or so...

Later....

mdrag
06-02-2003, 10:09
Minn-kota,

I believe you were looking at the PTO MAX ENGAGE value rather than the PTO MAX ENGINE SPEED number to come up with the 1000 RPM value. IIRC, the PTO MAX ENGAGE has to do with using the PTO circuit while moving - but not sure on this.

mdrag

Minn-kota
06-02-2003, 15:27
Just got back from the dealer to have the high-beam indicator dimmed and high idle speed adjusted. All the RPM settings were read by the Tech 2 as 6375 RPM so I had them enter them as shown above except for the Set and Resume speeds which I chose. Works great!

Thanks guys!

Jack's Dmax
06-02-2003, 21:29
Minn-kota,

I would like to have my high beam indicator dimmed. In case the dealer isn't aware, what needs to be done to change the intensity?

Thanks,

Jack

Minn-kota
06-02-2003, 21:44
There is a TSB on this issue. I believe more info on this is in the Accessories Forum here. They should know about it, and if they don't they can look it up quickly enough and find the proper procedure to dim the light. They use the Tech 2 programmer/scan tool to make the adjustment.

Minn-kota
06-02-2003, 21:47
It was in the 2500/3500 Drivetrain section.

Hight-beam Indicator Thread Here (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=004988)

Jack's Dmax
06-02-2003, 22:51
Originally posted by Minn-kota:
It was in the 2500/3500 Drivetrain section.

Hight-beam Indicator Thread Here (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=004988) Min-kota,

Thanks I just discovered the thread. smile.gif