PDA

View Full Version : those dang injectors

crashdnt
09-03-2003, 16:46
I have a 2001 HD Max. I've now had 4 injectors fail over roughly 5000 miles. The dealer will only replace them as they go bad, even though they know there is a design flaw and the others will fail. Has anyone had any luck with a similar situation?

PS
The dealer is now saying that it is water that gets past the fuel filter that is causing this mess. Is this what you are hearing?

sdaver
09-03-2003, 16:52
had a bad return on one at 40k........lots of issues but clean fuel seems to be the biggest....use the search function for words like clean fuel, secondary filter, cat filter, mega filter, and lift pump. There is a vast range of opinons on the solutions but we all seem to agree that cleaner is better. Good luck with your problem and welcome to the show :D dave

Kennedy
09-03-2003, 19:35
Originally posted by crashdnt:
PS
The dealer is now saying that it is water that gets past the fuel filter that is causing this mess. Is this what you are hearing? While I don't doubt that water is passing through the filter (and then settling wherever it likes) it is GM policy to use ONLY additive that causes water to settle out (DEmulsify) so that the filter/seperator can catch it. :rolleyes: Sounds good in theory, BUT the filter/seperator is not nearly as effective as they think.

Emulsify the water, with FPPF Total Power or Primrose and don't tell the dealer what you are doing...

Captain Mal
09-03-2003, 21:07
Crashdnt,

Have spent OVER $5,000 replacing all the injectors. IMHO it is a combination of filtration, poor injector quality and a horrible design for the fuel system.

My talks with GM were futile. They nicely told me where to stick it when I asked for a rebate (same one they mail to others) to ease the purchase price of a new truck.

My advice is to stay the course while you are under warranty or sell the truck. If you go out of warranty....SELL THE TRUCK. There is a world of trouble out there with the fuel system.

john deere
09-04-2003, 19:24
Me too.......It's been in the shop since Tuesday. They said they would have it done by Friday. How I had noticed the problem; my oil presure had dropped to about 30 PSI. I could see the gauge moving (Dropping). I pulled over and the oil leevel was fine;so I thought. I continued driving, called my dealer to tell them the problem. They told me to get to a dealer ASAP "The Crank Case is filling-up with diesel fuel". I get to a Chevy Dealer explain what's going on and they look at funny. The first thing they do is hook-up their computer; no error codes show-up. Then they say; "let's drain the oil. Over five gallons come pouring out. they re-fill it and presure is back-up to 75 PSI. To sum it up I made two more stops for oil that day before I got to my Dealer and each time five gallons came pouring out. My Dealer told me today that two injectors stuck open were the cause for this mess. He told me not to worry about the cost he would turn it into GM and have them pay for it.

I was just wondering?????? would a "Superchip" cause this problem? :rolleyes: Not that I have one!

dmaxalliTech
09-04-2003, 19:33
John, Who is your dealer and where do you live?

john deere
09-04-2003, 19:36
dmaxalliTech,

Can I ask why first? I may not want to disclose this information.

dmaxalliTech
09-04-2003, 20:03
John, I understand completely, Email me if you could so we can keep off topic conversation to our selves.

john deere
09-04-2003, 20:17
DmaxalliTech,
I'm not trying to be difficult, but was does my Dealer and loctaion have to do with my injectors failing? I would like to keep this conversation "Those Dang Injectors" going and not get off on a different subject.

crashdnt
09-04-2003, 20:37
DmaxalliTech, can I ask you for some advice on a additional fuel filter system and anything else that could help me down the road. If so please Email me at crashdnt@aol.com crashdnt@aol.com

dmaxalliTech
09-04-2003, 20:39
John, I noticed you were from MI and was just curious as to where abouts your located and who your servicing dealer was, I know quite a few dealers/techs and was just curious as too who you were using, has nothing to do with failures. Just peaked my interest when I seen you were from MI, thats all. I also want to invite you to Diesel Day here in Grand Rapids if you can make it. Oct 11.

BassinRVer
09-05-2003, 14:19
dmaxalliTech,

I guess not EVERYONE knows your the "King Duramax Tech" and that you are just trying to help them.

smartfix
09-05-2003, 15:25
I'm not trying to be difficult, but was does my Dealer
================================================== ==
Hello John

Dealer has very much to do with this.. There a lot of dealers that don't know what there doing and just replace parts.. Did you see the old parts.. Like
Those Injectors.. As a fleet owner you bet i'm going to ask to see the parts..dmaxalliTech is a great person and knows our Durmax in and out.. If Eric was looking for a job hire him ASAP

From steve
Fleet Owner

Chris Strandt
09-05-2003, 16:39
dmaxalliTech,

I don't actually own a Duramax (yet).. but I have a question. I'm from the Detroit area (belleville to be exact) and I have been a 6.5L guy in the past (H1 owner).I'm very interested in the Duramax and would like to attend the "diesel day" you mentioned.

May I ask details of the event? Is it an invite only?

I'm doing my research now to do a conversion in the future to Duramax, but I don't know anyone I can bug to look at the engine and learn where all the sensors are, bolt locations, harness routing, etc, etc, etc.

dmaxalliTech
09-05-2003, 20:00
Originally posted by BassinRVer:
dmaxalliTech,

I guess not EVERYONE knows your the "King Duramax Tech" and that you are just trying to help them. Still spreadin the word ;)

Steve, your hired!

Chris-- diesel day (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000111)
Open to public, everyone is invited.. I will post updates to that thread.. stay tuned! hope to see you there

Chris Strandt
09-05-2003, 21:52
Thanks for the info... I'll be there. Hope you don't mind a Hummer nut asking Chevy questions. =)

-Chris