PDA

View Full Version : AUX Fuel Tank

Kevin West
05-31-2003, 22:07
Has any one instaled a Auxzilary fuel tank in their bed? if so what is the best way to plumb it into the stock fuel tank so i can fill while im driving... thanks in advance....

chuntag95
05-31-2003, 23:16
Kevin,

First, welcome. Second, yes, others have done it. Use the search function and you will find all the info you want.

Later,
Chris

DrL30047
06-01-2003, 03:04
I put a Transfer-Flow 98 Gallon cross-the-bed Aux Tank in my '01 D/A CC 18 months ago. It pumps fuel from the Aux tank to the Main tank automatically. The Transfer-Flow gauge reads both tanks separately, while the dash gauge reads total of both. Best thing I ever bought.

Pulled a 30' TT from Georgia to upper Michigan (1,400 miles), and still had 42 gallons left when I got there. Not pulling, I figure I can go 2,300+ miles without refueling. Gotta Love It!

DMAX_Phil
06-01-2003, 12:47
Kevin - I was going to spill the $1K for the XferFlow 45 gal. replacement tank but had a hard time justifying the cost/benefit. I set-up a custom, low-dollar tool-box tank using my existing box and a plastic tank out of a F**d diesel. It gives me 20 extra gallons and still lets me store my tools in the box. I wanted 30 gals. but this is good for now.

I had planned on brazing a fitting into the stock filler neck but when I drilled through, I found it was thick enough to take a tap. Go to my pic site and you'll get a better idea:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2185992&uid=1040769

The primary goal for me was to make the system easily removable (it removes in under 5 mins.). I spent about $100 for everything (tank, xfer valve, pump, hose, fittings). I have a timer switch on the pump and a momentary-on, dp/dt switch on the xfer valve. The valve is just extra insurance that a siphon doesn't continue once the pump is turned off. I finished the system about a week ago and it works great with no leaks.

Good luck,

Phil B.