PDA

View Full Version : Turbo question

opto
07-18-2005, 21:26
Is the 6,5 OEM turbo "smaller" than the banks turbo(6.2 kit) and will it generate boost sooner?
Does it have the same input and output flanges?

Reason for asking is that I'm a little dissapointed in the banks turbo only generating ut to 5 psi at just above cruising rpm and up to 8-9 at high rpm with WOT.

Planning on building a new 6,2 300HP+ and then swap, what turbo to use?

britannic
07-19-2005, 04:47
Yes, the 6.5LTD turbo has a wastegate for quicker spooling and a smaller A/R ratio than the non-wastegated Banks. The OEM turbo's main advantage, is that more boost is available at a lower rpm, but at higher engine speeds it's more restrictive and can raise EGTs.

waorth
07-19-2005, 08:58
Pretty sure Peter J. Bierman (from The Netherlands) will chime in here soon ;)

If not, you may have a look at his setup at Twin Turbo CUCV (http://www.oliverdiesel.com/friends/bierman.htm). Or just do a search here in the forum for "TTD"

I had the pleasure to drive this Blazer last year at the European rendezvous. What a beast! Never thought a 6.2l in a full size could be that powerful!

Walter

opto
07-20-2005, 05:41
Will more fuel result in boost going up aswell?

Peter J. Bierman
07-20-2005, 12:14
To a point it will, if you run a BIG turbo, you might come to a shortage of exhaustgas energy to drive it.
Putting in more fuel will increase the energy stored in the exhaust flow.
But there is a limit to it, thats when you only create a lot of black smoke and not more power.
You have to find the balance between all the parameters to have the engine performing at it's peak.

I just had a lucky guess with the two Garretts :D

For 300 HP you need a strong engine, an IP capable of feeding enough fuel and a turbo setup to match gasflows, mix them in the right formula and you have 300 HP. ;)

Peter

Peter J. Bierman
07-20-2005, 12:21
PS.

The TTD does 7 to 10 PSI at cruise and 15 max ( waste gates ).
It has not been established how many HP but it's a fast truck and destroyed a TH400 so far :D

A lot off changes are beeing cooked up now if I only could find the time........

Join us at the Eurorendezvous in september and I'll tell (and show) you all about it :D

Peter

opto
07-20-2005, 21:59
Thanks
I've been thinking about meeting up for the rendevouz. What date is it?

My engine is kind of on it's way down so I will start building a new one and then make a swap.

Will start with a 82 block, low comp pistons and pherhaps a DB4 pump, any thought about this pump??

I've also been playing with the idea of redoing the heads for direct injection, anybody heard of someone doing this?? :cool:

Peter J. Bierman
07-22-2005, 11:54
First of all, The Eurorendezvous is 2,3 and 4 september in Stolzembourgh Luxemburg.

Second, A 82 block could be a good choise but I would considder a 84/85 militairy engine, supposed to stronger.
A DB4 is a waste of money if the job can be done with a DB2 wich is the case.
If you want to go to direct injection you need not redone heads but complete redesigned heads with centermount injectors and totaly different pistons with the combustion chamber in the top.
If you are at it make it a 4 valve design.

Short, for 300 HP you only need the formula for the 300 HP 6.5 and put it on a 6.2 and make up for the 300 CC's in the fine tuning.

But I will never say it cant be done couse if I would have listened to those comments I would not have the TTD :D .

Peter