PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump quick help

Scott Nixon
07-14-2005, 12:11
Taking advantage of being unemployed to work on my truck! ;)

Anyway, thanks to this page I figured out how to turn up the pump. Got 'er done, just need to bolt it back together. I'm actually working on it as we speak, so that's why I'm looking for a quick answer! smile.gif

1. When I took it apart and slapped it back together because I didn't know what I was doing, it made no power afterwards. Couldn't even hit 55 on the freeway.

This time when I took it apart, fuel bowl was empty. Do I need to bleed it some how?

2. On my junk 6.5 I pulled the pump apart on it for practice. I found a small, watch battery nub in there that looks like it goes in the hole at the back right (as your facing the front of the engine). Should my 6.2 have this nub? Does it go where I think it should? Is it causing problem 1?

Thanks guys!!!

john8662
07-14-2005, 13:41
Check for air leaks in your fuel lines going to the injection pump. You will also want to get a piece of 1/4" ID clear tubing to substitude for the fuel return line coming out of the injection pump. This will give you an idea if you're getting air or if the pump is fully primed once you get the engine started again. You should be able to get a steady flow of fuel out of the IP once the engine is running. If not, then I'd suspect the air leak or possible lift pump failure.

Does your pump look like the one I took apart on the inside?