PDA

View Full Version : engine wouldn't stop cranking...now no crank

henryj
07-12-2005, 16:05
Got in it the other day after picking up kids, turned ignition, let go of key as usual, just kept trying to crank. I turned the the key as to crank it again, let off key this time all is fine running normal, drive on home, shutoff engine and try starting and shutoff thing to see if I can duplicate the problem. on and off about 5 times....last time same problem again, and doesn't stop until I try to start it again. It was late so I said I'd see about it the next day it's the weekend. Next day try to start up to move it into the garage.........nothing, no dash lites, no glowplugs nothing, so I,m thinking a short somewhere probally took out fusible link thingy...yep crispy critter...replaced that, tried again, dash lites and glowplugs back on cycles as normal, but still no crank, held the key in the start position jiggled gear shifter)neutral safety switch) still nothing, checked fuse link (all of them) all ok, had some extra time on my hands so I remove the starter thinking its bad, checked it at local starter rebuild shop, Starters ok, got them to put on a new solenoid anyway.....bolt it back in, recheck everything, still no crank, I've checkd all the fuses in the fuse panel all ok, is there a starter relay for this year model(90')or where can I get some schematics for it? Could it be the ignition switch maybe? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

NH2112
07-12-2005, 16:31
I'd check the other wires going to the starter if you haven't already, when the fusible link fried it could have fried another wire as well. Make sure the wires on the starter are all tight, too. Other than that, get the ol' test light out and work your way form the ignition switch to the starter.

ZZ
07-12-2005, 19:35
It could've been been the starter solenoid sticking. I've had a few of them do it on GM gas burners. I had to pull a battery cable to get them to stop.

henryj
07-17-2005, 09:08
After many long HOT hours in the south Ga. sun I finally found the trouble. The purple wire (the one that goes to the solenoid start terminal) that goes from the igintion switch mounted atop the steering column had 12 volts on it constantly whenever the batteries were connected and subsequently would try to start the engine, so i cut it about where the vaccum pump is to find out where it was comming from either the starter side or the switch side. Easy enough, found that it was coming from the switch side, disconnected ingnition switch, still 12 volts.. What? a wire with no connection at both ends has 12V on it?? After removing wire from all wiring loom and wrapping under hood and under dash, traced wire back to the point where it goes through the firewall and there it and one of the power wires that come from the battery had rubbed the insulation off of both of them and providing the constant 12 volts. The most troubleshooting I've had to do with electricals in a while, replaced wire and wrapped power wire all is well now. Hope this info will help someone else if you have same situation, Thanks for the replies.