PDA

View Full Version : Question for GMCTD

mhagie
07-06-2005, 03:55
I have a snap-on timing meter mt1480a and I would like to convert it to read pulse as well as lumy.
my thought is to use a transducer from www.tinytach.com (http://www.tinytach.com) and adapt it to either the cable that reads lumy or the one that reads inductive spark.
The 1480a meter works on gas or diesel.
snap-on makes a pulse adapter that clamps on the inj line and converts it to a small loop of plug wire that you can pick up with the inductive clamp,but at $333 is cost prohibitive vs $58 for a transducer.
my thought is to insert a connector on either the lumy or inductive cable and adapt a short cable to the transducer to that connector so one could switch back and forth.
I wonder if anything else is needed other than the transducer?
I can't see any transisters or anything else on the lumy pickup.
the lumy and inductive cables both share a common connector on the meter so I can't believe its too complicated downstram of that connector,only for me.
Your thoughts?
Thanks,Merle

gmctd
07-06-2005, 09:21
Amplification for low-level probe signals would likely be done inside main case, Merle.

Lumy-photocell would be low-level signal, spark-inductive could be low- to high-level signal, depending on turns-ratio.

DB2-4911 had inline piezo adaptor on cyl#1 injector pipe, which could be medium-level output, depending on mechanical coupling.
If you could find the adaptor for that, you'd be ahead of the game.

However, inj pulse occurs before combustion can start, so measured injector line timing signal would in advance of Lumy timing signal.

To be any less vague would require some hands-on with, or a schematic of, the tester.

However, I don't think youd hurt the tester or the clamp-on tiny-tach probe , if the probe has two wires, and the tester requires two wires.