PDA

View Full Version : Center-mount turbo from 6.5 (Hummer/Van type)

gavio
07-02-2005, 13:25
Hi Y'all:

Anybody here know about how the center-mount turbo setup is attached to the engine?

Are all 6.5 blocks tapped with the mounting holes and the like, or just units that had the center turbo to begin with?

Can the setup be installed on a 6.2 block, or just a 6.5?

Anybody messed with one of these?

Thanks for any insight, as always......

john8662
07-02-2005, 17:31
I don't think it's going to work at all on a 6.2 block.

You're right in that the 6.5 block IS drilled with additional holes on the back of the block for anchoring the turbocharger to the engine as well as providing and oil drain for the turbo.

Other things are different, the heads have the intake bolt holes drilled in at a different angle, to accept the different intake style that these engines use.

If you want to try it in a van, I'd start with the WHOLE 6.5TD assembly out of a Savanna van or Hummer 97+

There has to be a way to get a turbo to work on a van right?

I don't think anyone on here has attempted this project.

opto
07-02-2005, 22:13
I have been thinking about mounting a turbo a bit more downstream on a van, pherhaps somewhere under the floor. Problem is that return oil needs a pump, but otherwise I think it could be done.

gavio
07-05-2005, 15:26
Thanks for the responses, guys.......

I think it would indeed be best to use a complete engine with the center turbo - it's sounding like doing it in bits could easily get out of control.........

Probably not gonna happen right now - I think I need to just get my 6.2 back on the road as is.......