PDA

View Full Version : FYI: TE06H on Ebay

britannic
03-30-2004, 08:22
This is the same one that DieselBoy and I installed:

Mitsubishi TE06H Turbo on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2470608744)

Dieselboy
03-30-2004, 11:54
That's the first one in quite a while. I kept seeing some TE06H/T3 hybrid on there for Supras that looked nice, but no regular ones like this.

Alaska Aviator
03-30-2004, 11:57
Thanks Britannic, I tried making a bid but never got up to the reserve!

britannic
03-30-2004, 12:14
Brand new they're worth at least $400.00 which is what I paid for mine. FYI: Bank's wants $1000-1200.00 for one.

JeepSJ
04-01-2004, 01:09
Now, let's all keep our heads and don't jack the price of this thing up and screw us all.

I was looking at the Holset HX35-W and contacted them about using one on a 6.5, but there is some concern about surging due to the low boost setting. They are telling me that this turbo is rated for up to 35 lbs. I wonder how long a 6.5 would last with 35 lbs of boost?

Hmmm. I decided to search the web while I was writing this. I visited a couple Dodge/Cummins related sites and was doing some reading on the HX35W. Seems that mid-90's trucks were set to run 15-18lbs of boost. So, why are these guys at Holset worried about me running 15 lbs of boost?

I'll be keeping an eye on this TE06H - just in case.

JeepSJ
04-03-2004, 08:47
Dang. I went up to $650 and still didn't hit the reserve.

Decision time - do I try to go after one of these TE06H units which we all know works great on our engines, or do I go after a Holset HX35-W which should "theoretically" work great on a 6.5? There are lots of good used Holset units out there that can be had for a couple hundred bucks, and rebuilts from turbo shops for $600-$700. Plus, there are companies that offer different intake and exhaust housings for the HX35-W so that you can really tune them for your application.

Grrrr.

britannic
04-03-2004, 10:11
There's no doubt the Holset can handle the exhaust CFM without restrictive backpressure. It's more to do with it's efficiency range and the fact the Cummins with it's 17.5:1 CR can handle the 15-40psi boost output without modification.

Best bet is to talk with a turbo shop and have them configure an appropriate Holset with a compressor/turbine pinwheel combo that'll give you a working boost efficiency range of 0-15psi.

Another option, is to just grab a GM8, turbomaster it (using Heath turbomaster) and install that - advantages: they're cheap, designed to work with the 6.5LTD give good low end boost.

It all depends on what type of driving and long term goals you have.

JeepSJ
04-04-2004, 23:33
Considering the fact that the reserve price on that TE06H is $1000 (I emailed the guy and asked him), I'm open for other options.

I found a turbo shop in Tacoma that is a Holset dealer. I'll be calling them this week. The GM8 is an idea, but the location of the exhaust port looks like it will cause some problems. Might not be a bad idea to find a junk one just to see how everything would fit.

This is going to be my daily driver. Occasionally it will be used to pull my CJ (on a trailer). Total combined weight of the SJ with all my gear, CJ and trailer is probably going to be around 12K lbs. If I could get close to 450 ft lbs of torque out of this engine, I would be very happy - I would be happy with anything over 400.

britannic
04-05-2004, 12:48
I'll be surprised if he gets $1000.00 for that turbo, because if you push Banks, they'll discount theirs to $1000.00 and include a warranty - I know, because I tried them first before I discovered a cheap new one on eBay.

JeepSJ
04-06-2004, 02:01
Cheap? You practically STOLE that one. I e-mailed the guy after the auction and he came way down on the price after it didn't sell. He sold it to me for a price that was below my max bid. I didn't get quite as good of a price as you did, but I still paid less than I would have for any other new turbo. Now all I need is the rest of the exhaust plumbing and I can start wedging this thing into the SJ.