PDA

View Full Version : Bad Glow plugs

Blzr6.2'83
06-30-2005, 15:20
My truck had bad glow plugs when I got it, so I bought some quickheat self regulated glow plugs off ebay. I have a manual switch and only turned it on for 6-10 sec to start it on a cold morning. A few months after i bought them they went bad and it wont even start with WD-40. IS there a certain voltage they should get or did I just get some bad products from ebay?

Blzr6.2'83
06-30-2005, 15:30
THis is a link to the ones I got - ebay plugs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7984122148&category=33693&sspagename=WDVW)
I want to get the problem fixed before I get the new ones.

CleviteKid
07-02-2005, 05:18
What year is your truck? Did your switch control the OE relay - or did you add a relay? If you were trying to switch 100 amps directly thru your switch you may have fried the switch contacts and the plugs are OK.

If the plugs are all (all 8 ?) really, actually burned out with just 6 to 10 seconds of glow (did you look at the second hand on your watch or just sorta guesstimate the time?) then the moral of the story is there are just two sources of glowplugs you should consider:

Kennedy's own fast-heat glow plugs
Genuine GM AC-60G glow plugs.

We would all like to support disabled Vets and American manufacturers, but only if the products actually work.

Dr. Lee :cool:

CleviteKid
07-02-2005, 05:21
By the way, there are rumors that WD-40 formula has changed and it is no longer an effective starting fluid. So if you go get some ether-in-a-can starting fluid, and even one glow plug is glowing, you could end up with a blowtorch coming back up your arm toward your face.

Be careful, use the on-line Troubleshooting guide, and get your glow system working properly.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Blzr6.2'83
07-02-2005, 11:48
I wired the switch to the relay. It is an 83. I will follow the trouble shooting guide and figure it out.
Thanks