PDA

View Full Version : Starter woes

craigc
03-29-2004, 11:55
I believe the starter in my burb is toast.
(84 6.2)
I attempted to bench-test with a 55 amp charger/starter. The solenoid kicks the starter gear out with no problem, but the motor itself will not spin. Should 55amps be enough to turn the starter with no load ?
thanks

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2004, 13:09
Your charger should spin the starter. Depending on the type of charger you have, it may not have enough juice to excite the solenoid and the motor.

Apply the power to the field strap. It is the "tab" that sticks out the side of the motor housing and attaches to the rear of the solenoid. This will spin the motor without going through the solenoid. If it does nothing, not even a buzz, then the starter has failed internally. If it does spin, apply power to the solenoid as before, and check that you are getting voltage out of the solenoid to the field strap.

If you are getting no voltage out of the solenoid, it can be repaired easily. Disassemble it and flip over the copper disc inside, then assemble. The copper disc is the contact completing (or supposed to) the circuit to the motor. If this doesn't work, just get a new solenoid.

Just a note:
GM starters will outlast the off-brands 2 to 1, regardless of warranty. The "lifetime" starters are fine, if you like replacing them frequently for a lifetime.

craigc
03-29-2004, 15:05
Thanks for the great info.
I'll give it a try tonight.
-Craig

craigc
03-29-2004, 23:57
Well, the starter must be toast. won't spin even when charger (or a known good battery) is connected directly to the field strap.

Is the Delco 28MT Series starter a goog GM starter? Or should I be looking for something different?

brandonwortley
03-30-2004, 16:26
I havent bought any diesel starters lateley, but in past experience with expensive starters it seems to be much cheaper to get the original rebuilt by a competent motor/alternator shop. I have had great luck with the quality and life of professionally rebuilt starters. Also, you can keep the oem quality and no shimming invloved (at least no different shimming than before). Good Luck!

britannic
03-30-2004, 16:31
The Delco starters are excellent, are you referring to the gear reduction version? If so, it's the way to go, but be sure to buy the 6.5L front brakcet from you local Chevy dealer for under $5.00.

Originally posted by craigc:
Well, the starter must be toast. won't spin even when charger (or a known good battery) is connected directly to the field strap.

Is the Delco 28MT Series starter a goog GM starter? Or should I be looking for something different?

craigc
04-01-2004, 20:14
I found a delco gear reduction and should be able to get it in this weekend
thanks for the advice