PDA

View Full Version : Ronniejoe, Question on DSG gear set.

rugger
07-06-2005, 10:24
Ronniejoe, I know you have talked about analyzing a DSG timing gear set. Just wondering if you have had the chance to do so? If so what is the verdict? I'm getting my engine back from the rebuilders this week and need to decide wether or not im going to use one. If i remeber correctly you had said you would use one. Please feel to contact at at e.lundquist(at)gmail.com if you would like to discuss offline.

cheers,
erik

[ 07-06-2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: rugger ]

rjschoolcraft
07-06-2005, 14:59
I never got to do any analysis. I'm out of time now. I am installing one in my engine. Hopefully, in the future I'll get another opportunity.

grape
07-06-2005, 19:29
are you gonna degree it to find out where the cam is? I'm just curious, I know what the book says they are, but like everything else I'd like to really know.

Barry Nave
07-07-2005, 01:00
DSG gear installed May of 2000.
65K miles, 98K on inj. pump.
Gear drive has helped the pump to last. my 2c

DickWells
07-09-2005, 11:19
Hi Rugger:
If I had my engine out, it wouldn't go back in without the gears. Three or four years and 60 - 70 k miles now without even thinking about those gears. More solid and smooth feeling to the engine. Now, I only worry about the harmonic balancer. I get up there and feel around and wiggle things every once in a while. Check the rubber for cracks, etc.
Just the way I see it from my saddle.
D.W.

rjschoolcraft
07-10-2005, 10:15
Originally posted by grape:
are you gonna degree it to find out where the cam is? I'm just curious, I know what the book says they are, but like everything else I'd like to really know. Not at this point. I had thought about it, but timing is bad now (pun intended). Maybe later.