PDA

View Full Version : low coolant sensor?

TonyL
03-25-2004, 15:17
I am trying to remove a sensor in the radiator that is in betwwen the where the oil cooler lines enter the radiator, it has a single wire connected to it. I belive it is a low coolant sensor for the dummy light, can any one verify this? Also I put a wrench on it to remove it and the hex part spins but it is not threading it out, I hope I am missing something, if not i am guessing its broke.

Thanks
Tony

TonyL
03-26-2004, 15:04
Any Ideas?

Alaska Aviator
03-26-2004, 16:00
It sounds like the low coolant sensor - that is where mine is on the passenger side back of radiator (86 Burb)

AA

TonyL
03-27-2004, 13:08
thanks for the reply, has anyone had any problems removing them.

gmctd
03-27-2004, 20:03
The sensor for low coolant is threaded in with a sealant stronger than the plastic threads, usually results in stripping them off the body.

To remove, grab the hex with vise-grips, pull hard and turn simultaneously, being careful not to pull the soldered boss out of the radiator.
Can be resoldered, if --it happens. ;)

Will, of course, require new sensor.

TonyL
03-29-2004, 16:47
Well i finaly got that damn thing out. Here is a tip for anyone else in the future, heat it up with a torch BEFORE you try to unscrew it so it doesn't self distruct and you could reuse it. It didn't take much heat, I used a porpane torch for about one minute.

Tony