PDA

View Full Version : Where is that darn thing?

4x4Dreamer
06-24-2005, 02:38
Before I go ripping out my dash, does anyone know where the flapper that controls where your vent blows is? I can move mine to Defrost or any of the other settings, and it only blows out the big one on the floor. I want to get that fixed before I put the new AC compressor in.

Any info is appreciated.

cruzer
06-24-2005, 05:07
Isn't that controlled by vacum? If so, check to see if you have vacum to the vacum switch and if the vac pump is working.

gavio
06-24-2005, 17:11
As often as not, it turns out to be a leaky vacuum line. Once you have access to the A/C controls, you can follow the vacuum lines.

I'm not familiar with the exact locations of things on a pickup truck, but once you find them, I have had luck on a number of occasions simply snipping the ends of the vacuum lines back a little bit (to get to a fresher part of the hose) and putting 'em back together. The A/C control panel is usually pretty easy to remove and you can start with the connections there and see if it fixes it - this would be a good possibility since moving the controller doesn't change anything. The actual airflow is controlled by two or three different flappers, so your problem is most likely at the controls, or in the vacuum supply leading to the controls.

I expect you will not have to take your whole dash apart.

Good luck!

mhagie
06-25-2005, 04:55
try accessing vacuum controls thru glove compartment. I hate to mention this but do make sure you have vacuum to begin with.
Usually if you listen close you can hear the vacuum switching ports when you move the lever accross its range.
Merle

moondoggie
06-25-2005, 07:47
Good Day!

You might want to check right at the vacuum pump 1st. You should see >= 20" of vacuum.

Blessings!