PDA

View Full Version : Starter Motor for ex military 6.2 (88)

Ian Brand (LandRover 6.2)
06-22-2005, 13:00
Hello folks, new to this site but straight in with a request for info.

Have been running ex US Military surplus GM 6.2 in Landrover Defender 90 for 9 years
ID on Rocker cover FED88 H054159 eng family: JGM 062DAN8

I'v had prblems for years with Delco starter on this unit, usually with thrower coil & contact failures (due to heat from exhaust down-comer),

I now need to find spare alluminium "head casting" for Delco starter motor (due to cracking) or complete new motor

Problem I have is identifying the relevant part numbers as I obviously have no VIN number etc.

The original 24v unit was supposed to have been converted to 12v by the importer but they only changed thrower coil. I subsequently had unit converted with new armature winding etc.

Any body out there that can provide Delco part number or offer any othr assistance??

I am aware that there are lots of GM Delco 6.2 starters out there on e-bay etc but which one???

humding
06-22-2005, 13:39
Ian,
I recently put another 6.2 into my 110 after the original died (8 years/60000 miles). I got it from the diesel depot (contact: Jamie Avant)and got them to fit a geared starter which is a big improvement over the old one of which I had a good few problems. The one piece of advise I can give to you is to go to the US for your parts. I have dealt with the two UK companies that were/are supplying the engines and conversion kits and had nothing but grief from both of them.

Ian Brand (LandRover 6.2)
06-23-2005, 10:10
Thanks for that feedback FYI I sourced my engine from Samurai
Originally posted by humding:
Ian,
I recently put another 6.2 into my 110 after the original died (8 years/60000 miles). I got it from the diesel depot (contact: Jamie Avant)and got them to fit a geared starter which is a big improvement over the old one of which I had a good few problems. The one piece of advise I can give to you is to go to the US for your parts. I have dealt with the two UK companies that were/are supplying the engines and conversion kits and had nothing but grief from both of them.

humding
06-23-2005, 14:05
I got my original engine from Coastal Eng. In the 60000 miles it lasted I replace a head gasket at 1400 miles (heads were never torqued fully in ths first place and I had a water leak from one), two heads at 14000, approx three sets of starter bushes, starter solenoids, new starter eventually, a couple of sets of heater plugs and some other small bits and pieces. The heads I got from Samurai. Whatever bad Coastal was, Samurai was tens times worse. I never dealt with such an AR$

SimonUK
06-23-2005, 14:41
As far as I know you can buy the starter cones(end yoke) separately. I'm sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction.

you could try A & F Ross at Girvan. I know they have tons of 6.2 spares but boy do they know how to charge. Wanted

Daan
06-23-2005, 23:56
Try this site, over in Germany. He's got some pretty detailed info and partnr's on the starters and alternators.

http://www.auto-elektrik.de/index-e.php?page=gmc

waorth
06-24-2005, 04:34
Originally posted by Daan:
Try this site, over in Germany. He's got some pretty detailed info and partnr's on the starters and alternators.

http://www.auto-elektrik.de/index-e.php?page=gmc I 2nd this. Good assorted shop and quick delivery.

Walter

twaddle
06-24-2005, 09:52
Ian,
If you are struggling with finding a 24v starter motor drop me a line.
I may have one sitting.
Why has the nosecone cracked?

These usually crack because the small support bracket has cracked.
Make sure that the bracket has been fitted, if missing this usually leads to broken starter bolts in the engine block.

I've used 6.2 and 6.5 diesels since 1989 and covered several hundred thousand miles, the only trouble with the starter motor I've had is the support bracket cracking and leading to the broken starter bolts.

My email address is jim@jimmyt.plus.com

Best wishes

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

aloharovers
06-24-2005, 16:10
Iam,
sorry to hear of your troubles, but glad to know someone else stuck a 6.2 into a SWB Rover.

Would love to see photos if you have any.

As for the starter I was having similar problems, heat. I ended up wrapping the down pipe in exhaust tape and got a starter heat sheild. Helps a lot.

Pete