PDA

View Full Version : Stud Girdle kit

humding
02-02-2005, 16:03
Are these completely successful in combating cracked bearing webs?

john8662
02-02-2005, 20:22
To be honest, no one really knows if this is a good fix to the bottom end cracking that few blocks have. This kit simply hasn't been around long enough and installed in that many engines to tell in the long run if it works or not. Seems to me that most cracking occurs on hopped up 6.2's or engines that have been hot, really hot. I cannot verify this, but out of 4 6.2's I recently have been robbing parts from and dissecting, one had cracked main webs, it was a turbo engine, that I knew from the previous owner was abused. The others didn't have the cracks.

You might call DSG and find out, www.dieselservices.com (http://www.dieselservices.com)
Although, I think they will probably give you the sales pitch. I like the kit, and have it installed in two of my engines, I can see how it can help, but I don't know if it really helps or not.

CleviteKid
02-03-2005, 05:39
Block cracking in 6.2L engines is fairly widespread. At The Diesel Depot they see lots of cracked main webs in the used 100,000 miles engines they tear down, and none of them were power-augmented.

My original 1984 6.2 engine had cracked main webs, and all I had done was open up the intake and exhaust, and turn up the pump a little bit.

John is correct, there is not enough evidence to know how much help the stud girdle will provide, but it will provide some, and it is a good idea if you are going to go hunting for big torque and power numbers from your engine.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Jgreemo
02-03-2005, 11:08
Hi Dr. Lee, did the Diesel Depot guys give you any numbers? "A lot" can mean many different things depending on who you ask and I am curious what sort of actual numbers of cracked blocks they are seeing.

Also as a happy owner of a DSG 6.5 motor, were these blocks susceptible to cracking like the 6.2? I know DSG used to offer splayed main caps, but that was a $1000 option I didn't take. I'm not sure what vintage block I have, but DSG told me they wouldn't rebuild a cracked one.

Thanks,
Jon

grape
02-03-2005, 11:37
isn't it 1/4" plate?