PDA

View Full Version : IP Rebuild Info ?

K10ANDY
06-18-2005, 12:21
I am going to try to rebuild my IP . Does anyone have any manuals , links or info for me ? Do the military manuals have the info in them ? The tag on my pump says it was rebuilt in 94 but it has EID particles in it .... Thanks for any help -A

john8662
06-18-2005, 16:02
If the pump was rebuilt in 94 it should have an EID in it. The EID is the good thing that you want in your pump. Before that there was a flex-ring that would deteriorate and harden in the presence of diesel fuel over time. After it hardened it would start to break apart and that is what you would see in your IP housing when taking the top cover off.

What you can do to determine if it was updated with the EID is look for a small metal tag on the pump that has an E stamped on it. Thats a tale tale that the pump has the EID update in it.

Since you're seeing trash in your IP it could be a failed flex ring if it wasn't updated as it was supposed to be. You could also be getting the trash in your pump from other sources, failed fuel filter etc.

Also, the military used "hardned" components in their injection pumps, I don't know if they were prone to failure with the failing flex ring like the civilian pumps were.

And finally, I don't think this is something that you want to tackle rebuilding yourself. Getting the parts for the rebuild is going to be difficult and getting it calibrated correctly is another. I'd just recommend taking it off and sending it in for an overhaul. You can use these people:

Diesel Injection Service
www.dieselpage.com (http://www.dieselpage.com)

Accurate Diesel Pump Rebuilding
www.accuratediesel.com (http://www.accuratediesel.com)

Or find a Stanadyne diesel shop in your area that rebuilds these pumps.

mark g
06-20-2005, 04:30
Originally posted by john8662:

Also, the military used "hardned" components in their injection pumps, I don't know if they were prone to failure with the failing flex ring like the civilian pumps were ive had lots of military versions , both blazers and trucks.the only year i have seen bad flex rings was in 84 model years. there is a way to tell the bad pumps but i forgot, something to do with the color of the label :confused:
i have a couple of military pumps laying around that i would part with. they were in running shape. the military did replace them as soon as they realized they had a problem.
i have limped a bad pump home by knocking the check ball out of the return fitting. it aint pretty but it will get you home. :cool:

K10ANDY
06-20-2005, 07:47
Thanks guys . I have looked for an E and there was none . I really dont want to spend the 300 +$ $ to get one rebuilt but oh well i guess i will have to . :(

john8662
06-20-2005, 07:52
It gets us all at some point... Been there done that, got the receipt and a hole where green stuff used to be...

It's really not that bad, 300 for a remain IP for the 6.2 verses 900 for a rebuild DS4 IP for the 6.5. The 6.2's are cheaper to keep running than the others out there.

At least you'll be able to narrow out the IP in future troubleshooting!

garysleeman
06-21-2005, 12:59
Check this guy out (www.accuratediesel.com) he rebuilt my pump last week for $214. plus shipping. Many good posts about him.

K10ANDY
06-22-2005, 19:21
Ive got some emails going with Tim already ;)