PDA

View Full Version : brake light switch

ace58
07-06-2005, 01:36
Has anyone had to access the wiring or replace the switch? To activate a brake controller with anti-lock brakes, the trigger is at the brake light switch.

HammerWerf
07-06-2005, 06:18
ACE,

If you are trying to hookup a trailer brake controller in your '99, check out this set of instructions I found.

Brake Controller Connection (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000271)

GM specific instructions for 1999 Suburbans is on the 2nd page.

On my '99, I found trying to get to the brake switch was a bugger. I could bearly touch it, much less splice wires to it. Don't know how to replace the switch with all the armor around it.

HammerWerf

diesel65
07-06-2005, 11:28
The 99's were easier to tap for the brake light, Look at the connector cluster under the dash by the emergency brake pedal, using a test light probe anyone of the unused connection while depressing the brake pedal, you should find your brake wire you need for the controller.

HowieE
07-06-2005, 16:20
The easest place to pick up a brake signal for your brake controller is at connector #301 in the left hand kick panel by your left foot. There are several connectors behind the panel. #301 is a 10 wire connector with white wires at 2 corners and a black and a brown wire at the other corners. You want the white wire, at location K in the connector, opposite the black wire. But check it with a test lamp while someone hits the brakes.
That wire feeds the center rear brake light.

ace58
07-06-2005, 16:32
Thanks for the replies. Mission accomplished.