PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control

4x4Dreamer
06-14-2005, 03:27
Prior to my IP and injector replacement, my cruise control worked like a champ. Which was very surprising to me when bought it. I'm assuming I hooked something up wrong, but can't find a good diagram to help troubleshoot the issue and am not sure how the system works. The little light doesn't come on in the dash anymore.
I'm not sure where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction? My only guess is that I put something on the IP incorrectly and that's the issue, but the truck runs great otherwise.

Any help is appreciated.

SteveMc
06-24-2005, 16:42
Since the intake was off, I would check the vacuum to make sure it is pumping 21 or better.A hose may be off or cracked. Also the electrical connections to the control itself above the pump. I don't know of any hookup to the IP. If yours is like my 87 Surb, the only wiring is from the steering colum switch to a four connector plug under the dash then to the control with wires also coming from the brake and batery system to the control. Mine does not have a dash light.

My old system got jerky so I put the cheapest one JCW had in the book and hooked it up to the origional colum seitch. Works great.

mhagie
06-25-2005, 04:51
4x4 dreamer, where is this little light on dash? my 84 never has had anything light up on dash, wish it would though.
Merle

moondoggie
06-25-2005, 07:51
Good Day!

I can't remember for sure (I used to own an 84 Sub), but isn't the cruise vacuum-operated? Yeah, I know, there's significant electronics involved too, but the thing that actually pulls the IP lever - isn't that a vacuum diaphram? If so, I'd reiterate what I said in your topic "Where is that darn thing?" - start at the vacuum pump.

Blessings!

4x4Dreamer
07-07-2005, 02:42
I just put AC in my truck (THANK GOD) and noticed that my selector for the vents isn't working either...so I traced that down back to the vacuum pump, and guess what? It comes off the pump to a T connection that splits the vacuum to the cruise control...neither work. (Coincidence? I think not) Some of the lines are pretty dry, so I'll be digging into that in the next few days. We'll see what the outcome is.