PDA

View Full Version : AC Woes

cwlehner
06-13-2005, 10:07
I just bought my 2nd 6.2 a few months ago (6.5 turbo !!), anyway the seller put a new AC compressor on just before I bought it. LAst week this compressor froze up and took out my serpentine belt too. Is there anything that could be causing compressors to fail and also is there any good reference for repairing AC systems on these trucks? My chiltons (or maybe it was haines) seems pretty worthless. Also I read on another post that the turbo placement may have required the AC system to be reworked?? (85 4x4 K30)

Any help is appreciated.

gmctd
06-13-2005, 13:39
Pull the compressor and check things out - 'replacing' a compressor does not always imply problem solved and system function restored.

Knowwhutimean, Vern?

bmiszuk
06-13-2005, 17:56
I've found good advice here http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/ in the past. Do you know if the compressor was used, rebuilt, or new? I'm guessing at best it was a rebuild and some of them can be lousy quality. If the system wasn't charged with the correct oil and the correct amount of oil when it was serviced that could cause it to sieze.

cwlehner
06-14-2005, 04:38
I pulled the compressor apart last night. The clutch mechanism grenaded! The bearing started dropping balls about half way apart and the races were destroyed. The compressor itself seems fine, I can spin it with my hand. I don't believe contaminants inside of the compressor would cause the clutch to fail. My guess is that I could probably just replace the compressor and not worry about the rest of the system. Has anyone had any luck in just buying the clutch??

Thanks!

cwlehner
06-15-2005, 12:08
Do all of the 85 6.2's have serpentine belts. The reason I ask is that my 85 K5 does not, and my 6.2 has been updated with a lot of parts from a mid 90's 6.5 (turbo etc...). Just wondering.

DmaxMaverick
06-15-2005, 12:22
Originally posted by cwlehner:
Do all of the 85 6.2's have serpentine belts. The reason I ask is that my 85 K5 does not, and my 6.2 has been updated with a lot of parts from a mid 90's 6.5 (turbo etc...). Just wondering. NONE of the 85's came with serpentine belts.

cwlehner
06-15-2005, 12:57
Uh Oh!

sounds like it all came off of a 6.5L

Do those all have the same serpentine configuration?

Also, are the AC compressors on the 6.2 the same as the 6.5? The one on my 6.2 is about 7" diameter and 6" thick.. I need to figure out which one to order so I can get this thing back on the road...