PDA

View Full Version : Starter Motors

becketts
01-26-2005, 12:18
After many months of fuel problems I've finally got my Blazer running correctly,two weeks of faultless running and low and behold the starter packs up!!,the only starter that i can get quickly is off a 6.5lt engine,will it fit and engage properly on my 6.2lt engine.
Thanks for your help!!
Regards
becketts

john8662
01-26-2005, 14:07
The starter from the 6.5L will work fine. The starter will bolt right up, the only difference you will run into is the starter support bracket is different and you will have to replace it with the one that goes with the 6.5 starter. The supprot bracket for the 6.2 won't work. The starter bolts are the same. The only thing to watch for is to make sure the starter is from an engine that had an automatic transmission behind it.

becketts
02-02-2005, 11:03
Thanks john8662 for the information,I changed it over the past weekend and it now starts every time,I do however have another unrelated problem,when I accelerate under any sort of load I get quite a large amount of black smoke out of both tailpipes, although when its cruising no smoke can be seen !are there any adjustments I can make to things better.

Regards

Paul

Peter J. Bierman
02-02-2005, 12:27
To reduce the smoke you can back off the fuel metering screw inside the pump a little but that will probably reduce power too.
Search the forum for tuning up the pump and follow instuctions exept you turn the screw out not in. ;)
Start with checking the airfilter, a dirty filter can cause black smoke too.

I have seen some CUCV's with humvee pumps on them, they give a bit more fuel and so produce more smoke.
If your blazer is Ex army and passed through some hands after militairy sevice, this might be the case.

Peter

britannic
02-02-2005, 20:54
Be sure to check your IP timing as well, in combination with the fuel setting, it can affect how much smoke is being made...

Originally posted by becketts:
Thanks john8662 for the information,I changed it over the past weekend and it now starts every time,I do however have another unrelated problem,when I accelerate under any sort of load I get quite a large amount of black smoke out of both tailpipes, although when its cruising no smoke can be seen !are there any adjustments I can make to things better.

Regards

Paul

becketts
02-03-2005, 10:40
Hi Guys; Having investigated a little further my wife who drives the Blazer most said that it happened suddenly ,one moment it was running with very little smoke and the next it started to produce smoke I suspect something has fallen off in the ERG system,I think the pump timing is probably ok.It was dark when I got home so I only had time for a quick look in the air cleaner,I did notice that there was a large amount of a sooty deposit inside the intake manafold that's not normally there,I'll investigate further over the weekend and keep you up to date.