PDA

View Full Version : My first time with a turbo

dieselcrawler
06-13-2005, 03:22
OK, I got every thing back together on my K30 CUCV, filled all the fluids, primed and bled the fuel system, and it fired up quite easy. I still haven't taken it out of the garage, but it has sat and ran for about a half an hour total, enough to bring it up to temp. What I haven't done yet is turn up the injector pump. Will it hurt it to try it as is, so long as I keep an eye on the EGT? If it's not turned up, it's my understanding that it will be running lean, and get high EGT, right? Or should I just turn it up now and never look back?
Also, I am getting a hint that I might have a problem. There seems to be oil in the exaust. My guess is that this would only mean that the turbo is leaking. I hope this is not so, but I don't know what else to think.

Thanks,
Greg

john8662
06-13-2005, 05:16
If you don't turn up the injection pump you'll be running lean, and you will have low EGT's not high. The problem will be that you won't be making enough heat to make much boost from the turbo. So you will get some boost, but not your full potential, you will see a performance gain without turning up the fuel, but you're best off doing it. It's really not that bad, but you'll sure have to have a helper to help bump the engine over while you find the screw while you're looking down the top of the pump.

The oil coming out of the exhaust isn't a good thing, but it could be from other sources, or not oil at all. You can tell if it's oil from the turbo after it's been run by removing the plumbing immediatly after the turbo compressor going to the intake. Look inside and look for oil, if there is some the turbo seals could be out. Some oil should be in the intake anyway, because of the CDR which is plumbed where in your setup?

Mind shooting some pictures of your turbo setup?

jcomp
06-13-2005, 06:27
My suggestion is to drive it around a while before turning up the fuel. It's just as easy to do it later as it is to do it now. Both of my turbo 6.2s required turning the fuel DOWN after the turbo. Like John said, you won't hurt it by running it lean.

dieselcrawler
06-13-2005, 12:10
John, CDR is a good point... where should it be plumbed in? It used to go into the sides of the intake, which I pluged, due to the turbo. I doubt you'd want to pump air INTO the crankcase... So where should it go now? Should I make a fitting on the filtered side of the air cleaner, or what?
Thanks,
Greg

dieselcrawler
06-13-2005, 15:36
After the first drive: bigger problems than oil in the exaust. NO BOOST! First test was my hill, approx one mile, mod grade. Normally, I could pull this hill easily wound out in first gear, and could pull it in second. Tried it today, it's about the same, only with some white smoke. EGT went to 1000 fast, not far from the bottom. I let off the fuel, EGT stayed at 800-900 the rest of the way up, about normal speed/power pre-turbo. All the while, boost gage is saying zero. Maybe a slight flicker, I couldn't watch it all the time, and still watch the road, and EGT gage... (he he he, it's cool havin' all thoes gages to watch!!!)
The white smoke didn't last, or was constant, seemed to go away once I backed off, and was running a smooth pace, mid-throttle.
I'm gonna try two things, one turn up the IP, the other is check all boost tubes, intake adaptor, etc, for leaks. I'll pull the tube from the turbo to the intake, start it, and see if there's any real pressure, even at idle. I'd assume that there should be a reasonable ammount of pressure that could be felt by putting a hand over the outlet of the turbo. (Hmm, sounds like a good way to lose a few fingers...)
Then after that, I have to deal with the oil leak.

Greg

john8662
06-13-2005, 16:45
On just about all of the 6.2 turbo kit's I've tinkered with the CDR valve is left in it's stock location but plumbed on the clean side of the intake system. So just plumb it right after the air cleaner before it goes into the turbocharger. Just to make sure your turbo is working (spinning) you could remove the air intake hose going into the turbo and start the engine w/o the hose on and see if you can see the compressor blades spinning. If they are not, then something is too tight or binding. It should be spinning with just the engine idling. Yeah your right, keep fingers way away from the turbocharger blades!

I think to see some boost you're going to have to turn up the juice.

Also you might look to see if you have any exhaust leaks. I'm still curious about your system, and how it's plumbed, on the intake side and on the exhaust. Do you have an exhaust crossover?

dieselcrawler
06-13-2005, 17:55
I do know the turbo is spinning, I've had the intake side off while it's running, dang near lost my fingers, almost got sucked in, even with the motor just idling. Has a nice whine when wound up. I'm gonna look for leaks around the intake adaptor, seal it well.
As to the boost, I understand it might be low without turning up the IP, but shouldn't I see SOME boost, 2 or 3 lbs?
Thanks,
Greg

Dieselboy
06-14-2005, 03:49
Oil in the exhaust:
When I put on my Banks exhaust, I had some oil out of the tailpipe. I concluded that it was packaging/anti-corrosion oil from when the exhaust was manufactured, and it cleared up after about 100 miles.

Glad to hear about the turbo. I think you'll find that whistle to be highly addictive. :D

dieselcrawler
06-14-2005, 06:20
It's most definatly oil in the exaust, it's leaking around all the joints at the turbo, and any place the pipe is joined after that, and dripping out at the end. It's used pipe, shouldn't be any shipping residue. I'll run it a bit and see what happens when I turn up the pump a little. Still worries me, no boost at all that I can see/feel. Grrrrrr.....

Greg

dieselcrawler
06-15-2005, 15:14
Turned up the injector pump, went a full 1/4 turn. Took it for a drive. EGT's hit 1000 really easy, and up to 1100 a time or two. I am getting a little boost, saw about 5 or 6 lbs, but at the same time as the 1100 EGT's. How hot can I let the EGT get, and for how long, without damage? I thought from what I've read in other post on this page that with a turbo, EGT's should stay under 1000. I'd hate to fry things, running too hot.
However, the ol' truck seems to run good... the power gains, my seat-of-the-pants-o-meter tells me, are not substantial, but noticable. EGT thing scares me, I ran that truck wide open all the time when it was N/A, but also had no idea what EGT was then, didn't have the gage. To keep it below 1000 means driving way to easy. Is it posible I need to back off the injector pump to about 1/8 turn? This should help bring EGT down some, right? Or is it really a problem? Can it handle 1100 - 1200 degrees for extended periods?

Thanks...

Greg

britannic
06-15-2005, 16:59
1100F is the absolute max and then for only very brief periods. Timing plays a big part in EGTs with a turbo, what is yours set at?

dieselcrawler
06-16-2005, 04:59
I have no idea what the timing is set at, I have never changed it, or had a meter on it. I did back off the injector pump fuel screw to about a strong 1/8 turn, and it droped EGT's a little... still hits 1100 on a hill pritty quick. My guess is that retarding the timing would help this? It does sound kinda "powerstroke-y", it has alot of diesel rattle. Would backing off the timing, and turning the fuel back up do the trick?
I'm gonna drive it the way it is, try it for a while, keeping a close eye on the gages...
Thanks...
Greg

britannic
06-16-2005, 05:35
Set your timing around 2.4-2.6* BTDC @ 1400rpm and recheck the performance.

dieselcrawler
06-16-2005, 14:51
I don't have a timing meter, so I have no idea to know if where I might reset it to would be anywhere in that range... What does high EGT's indicate? Timing advanced to far, or not enough? I indend to try to bump the injector pump timing a little, which way should I go? It looks easy enough, and would be easy enough to set back to where it is now, no harm done. What way do I need to go with the pump, move it to the driver's side or the pass. side?
I have put a few miles on the truck today, I do like the extra power... can now cruse at 1/2 trottle, where I used to be into it alot more before. Just hate havin' to watch the EGT's, just when it starts really pickin' up, I have to let off the pedal. I have seen 5 to 6 lbs of boost from time to time, for a few seconds!

Hope it's up to doin' some towin' this weekend, got another 6.2L to bring home... '85 C-20, 6.2L, 4 sp. Will put dual wheels on the back and a dump bed, that's this winter's project.

Greg

britannic
06-16-2005, 18:22
IMHO, it's better to be sure of your base timing, before experimenting. Once the timing is set, then you can adjust the fuel. You might want to check and see if there's a DP member near you with a timing meter...

dieselcrawler
06-17-2005, 06:22
I agree, it would be nice to know exactly what the timing is... however, I don't see how it would hurt to try to adjust 'by ear' for now, untill I have the access to a timing meter. I mean no disrespect to you, Britannic, or your vast knowlage of these diesels. It may be a while before I have access to a timing meter, and I'd like to get it a little closer to running properly in the meantime. Isn't the high EGT's I have now a good indication that the timing is off some? I would rather move it a small, unknown ammount in the direction that it would seem it needs to go now, than to leave it where it is now, which seems to be 'out of line' more than it would be if I changed it...
Again, no disrespect, I just want to make my truck run better with what I have availble to me, which is my tools, my brain, and words of advice from all of you on The Diesel Page...
Is there someone local with a timing meter? I am in the northern panhandle of West Virginia, and not far from SW PA, and eastern Ohio. Or is there someone who would be willing to let my use the one they have, ship it to me, and I'll pay you for all shipping cost and a few bucks for your trouble?
Thanks...

Greg

britannic
06-18-2005, 05:40
No umbrage taken smile.gif . Our suggestions are usually tempered by a knowledge of just how easy it is to damage the engine, when things are less than optimum.

FYI: I did initially tune my truck by ear, later though, I was frankly amazed by how far my timing was advanced when I finally used a meter.

All the best,

Britannic

dieselcrawler
06-18-2005, 20:32
After some towing, I'm pleased with the results. Pulls a trailer with a full size p/u with much less trouble than before the turbo. EGT's are still high when you get into it, but once I let off and let the motor spin a little easier, and maybe drop down a gear, all seems ok. Found a crack in my cross over pipe, seems to have developed in the past day or so.
I did try adjusting the timing, and ended up putting it back where it was, there didn't seem to be a noticeable diffrence in power, sound, or EGT's.
Overall, the truck is much more fun to drive... seems to be more than happy to keep up with traffic now, used to work so hard, just to go so slow! I feel it runs about like a healthy small block 1/2 ton truck when unloaded would. And I'm settin' at 8000 lbs plus at all times! And I love the sound... 3.5" straight pipe, no muffler. Not too loud, and the turbo whistle is so sweet! Love it!

Greg