PDA

View Full Version : What kind of turbo is this?

arveetek
03-18-2004, 12:35
Here is a 6.2L/6.5L turbodiesel engine (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=2467163780) for sale on ebay. Seller claims that is a factory 6.5L TD replacement, but it obviously is not. The turbo is facing backwards at an angle with the exhaust pointed towards the front. They're still using the stock, 14" round air cleaner. Anybody seen anything like this before? That doesn't look like a factory GM turbo, because it has a bolt-on exhaust flange. Something seems familiar about this in the back of my mind, like I've seen it before.

Is this just somebody's poor attempt at a self-installed turbo system?

Casey

dieseldummy
03-18-2004, 15:02
I may be wrong, but I think that looks like the setup ATS used. Just a guess maybe someone else knows more.
Justin

NH2112
03-18-2004, 17:30
Yep, that's an ATS.

arveetek
03-18-2004, 18:56
Does the ATS system usually retain the stock air cleaner like that? That seems rather cheesy.

I thought ATS mounted the turbo farther forward than that....seems like I remember using the stock exhaust manifold mounted upside down or something like that.

Casey

john8662
03-18-2004, 19:21
Yep, the ATS system retains the stock air cleaner. The ATS system had an adaptor that mounts to the intake and the cleaner sits on top. I actually like the ATS system, although I couldn't find one for my projects. They don't use the exaust manifold upside down. It has a custom passenger side exaust manifold that gets changed out. Its a complete setup, uses a crossover pipe from the drivers side exaust just like the banks kit does. The only problem with the ATS kit is that once you have it installed, replacing glow-plugs is NOT easy, or almost impossible on the passenger side rear cylinders. I know this because one of my friends has this kit on his suburban. Anyways, I have almost two complete Bank's kits, like you, getting the time to install one or both of them is the problem. I think its finally time to turbo the ol 86 pickup. The other kit for the project truck (slow burban 4x4) but will use the TEO6H turbo that I acquired.

odee
03-19-2004, 03:33
John8682,do you have any idea where I might come up with the banks exhaust manifold to fit the 80's old body style trucks? Anyone else have some idea? I'm wanting to put a turbo on the engine I'm fixing to put into my dually. thanks

arveetek
03-19-2004, 06:53
I purchased a Banks passenger side manifold directly from Banks. I'm piecing together a turbo system part by part, and at the time, I couldn't find a used one.

BTW...I need a Banks cross over pipe. Anybody have one? If not, I'll contact Banks again and see how much a new one will be.

I have a brand new air cleaner now, so all I have left to get is a cross over pipe and a pressure chamber. I believe I'll make the pressure chamber myself out of some aluminum diamond tread plate I have laying around. That should look pretty cool!

Casey

NH2112
03-19-2004, 14:16
Here are some pics of my ATS turbo exhaust manifold.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287456023&idx=9

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287456023&idx=10

I'm in the process of rebuilding the turbo now, but I think the guy who ordered the rebuild kit ordered the wrong one because there's a LOT of radial play (the compressor wheel can touch the housing) yet no visible wear on the shaft. If it is shot, I think I can just find another T04B with a compressor and turbine that fit in my housings, and use that. It might change the AR numbers but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

john8662
03-19-2004, 15:25
The pieces of kits that I have now are still short some pieces, so I understand the piecing it together. I have one crossover pipe from one of the kits, I thought about taking it to an exaust shop and seeing if they could duplicate it for me, so I would have another one. The first pieces of a kit I got were very imcomplete, the second kit is mostly there, that way I can make the pieces for the other kit if I have them to look at.

What is the current way that Banks uses to drain the oil back into the engine from the turbo? I got an oil-pan with the last kit that has a bung welded to it. That would be nice if I had that prior to putting the engine in, I don't want to have to take the pan off the engine in the vehicle (4x4 burb). Or are they using an adaptor plate where the fuel lift pump goes on the 6.2 now?

Alaska Aviator
03-19-2004, 15:38
Originally posted by john8662:
The pieces of kits that I have now are still short some pieces, so I understand the piecing it together. I have one crossover pipe from one of the kits, I thought about taking it to an exaust shop and seeing if they could duplicate it for me, so I would have another one. The first pieces of a kit I got were very imcomplete, the second kit is mostly there, that way I can make the pieces for the other kit if I have them to look at.

They use an adapter plate for the lift pump and the return line goes to it.

What is the current way that Banks uses to drain the oil back into the engine from the turbo? I got an oil-pan with the last kit that has a bung welded to it. That would be nice if I had that prior to putting the engine in, I don't want to have to take the pan off the engine in the vehicle (4x4 burb). Or are they using an adaptor plate where the fuel lift pump goes on the 6.2 now?

arveetek
03-19-2004, 19:23
John,

Yep, Banks supplies a fuel lift pump plate with their kit that has the oil return built in. I plan to do away with the mechanical pump altogether, purchase a lift pump block-off plate, and then attach a drain to that plate by either welding or drilling and tapping.

I may also build my own cross over pipe, but thought it would be nice to just bolt one on that was already made. I'm already going to have to make a custom down-pipe and 4" exhaust system, so one less thing for me to do would be better.

Casey

britannic
03-19-2004, 22:02
NOTE: this doesn't mean your turbo is shot, unless the turbo specification lists a tolerance for radial play.

The turbo will automatically self center when oil pressure is fed into it. Most new turbos will touch the side when pushed by hand. However, it is shot if you find excessive fore and aft play in the turbine shaft after the turbo has been fed oil.

Both my brand new turbos touched the side when moved by hand, I confirmed with a turbo shop that that wasn't a problem for the particular type and model.

Originally posted by NH2112:
Here are some pics of my ATS turbo exhaust manifold.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287456023&idx=9

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287456023&idx=10

I'm in the process of rebuilding the turbo now, but I think the guy who ordered the rebuild kit ordered the wrong one because there's a LOT of radial play (the compressor wheel can touch the housing) yet no visible wear on the shaft. If it is shot, I think I can just find another T04B with a compressor and turbine that fit in my housings, and use that. It might change the AR numbers but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

NH2112
03-20-2004, 03:58
Originally posted by britannic:
NOTE: this doesn't mean your turbo is shot, unless the turbo specification lists a tolerance for radial play.

The turbo will automatically self center when oil pressure is fed into it. Most new turbos will touch the side when pushed by hand. However, it is shot if you find excessive fore and aft play in the turbine shaft after the turbo has been fed oil.

Both my brand new turbos touched the side when moved by hand, I confirmed with a turbo shop that that wasn't a problem for the particular type and model. I know that the turbo will center itself (my plan was to go ahead and use it as-is, then see if it self-destructed on startup :D ), but I just think that given the amount of radial play I'd be asking a lot of a film of oil to keep it centered. That's interesting that your new turbo's wheels could touch their housings as well. In any case, I gave ATS a call yesterday and while they couldn't help me with specs (this may be chauvinistic but I think it's mostly due to the fact I talked to a lady) they did give me the number to "High Tech Turbos," where I got min shaft o.d. and max bearing housing i.d. numbers. They make bushings up to 0.020" oversize so I'll just throw a set in and run it.

odee
03-20-2004, 04:16
Arveetek, how much was the turbo manfold from Banks new? Will the factory turbos bolt to them? thanks

DmaxMaverick
03-20-2004, 04:38
I would not trust a shop, or a tech that said it was "within spec" if the compressor or turbine wheel was able to contact the housing. It may come close, but never touch. If it does, the shaft bushing (and thrust bushing if it has one) is shot. ANY contact with the housing will eventually cause metal (or composite material) to enter the combustion chamber. It will not get better, it will only get worse until the turbo self destructs, and dumps the compressor blades into the intake. The upside is, they will be well lubricated due to all the oil that is passing through that sloppy bushing. If you do run a "sloppy" turbo, now would be a real good time to start saving up for that overhaul. I hate to sound like the spoiler here, but facts is facts.

arveetek
03-20-2004, 05:42
Odee,

I'll have to look up my receipts, but I'm thinking that it was around $130 including shipping. I may be wrong, but I'll find out later for sure.

I've been told that the factory 6.5L turbochargers will bolt to the Banks manifold, but I have not tried myself. I'm using a Garrett non waste-gated turbo removed from a 7.3L Ford diesel. I had to have an adapter machined to get it bolted up to the Banks manifold.

Casey

grape
03-20-2004, 11:34
there are two standard exhaust inlet sizes, T3 and the T04 family. The banks and the Gm stuff is T3 on the exhaust side, so yes they interchange.