PDA

View Full Version : vacuum regulator valve adjustment?

wvo
01-25-2005, 06:19
I recently had a new injection pump installed in my '82 6.2L. Last night I asked Dr. Lee about trouble with the transmission shifting at a higher speed (5-10 mph) after the pump was installed. Today I found out about the vacuum regulator valve on the injection pump. Is this valve easy to adjust or should I bring it back to the mechanic to adjust?

Thanks in advance

Peter J. Bierman
01-25-2005, 08:24
It's easy to do.
The valve is mounted to the passengerside of your injection pump with two little screws.
Loosen the screws a little and adjust the valve forward or rearward depending on what you want.
It's simple trail and error, move the valve, tighten the screws and go for a drive.
Not good? move it a little more or less till you are happy.
Only thing is the lower screw is somewhat hart to get to.

Goodluck, Peter

dieselbegreat
01-25-2005, 14:39
Yeah, I had to use like a tiny 5/16 or 3/8 and 10mm ignition wrench to get to both screws. You don't have to tighten them down all the way when you're test driving, just enough so it won't move.

wvo
01-25-2005, 15:11
Peter and Dieselbegreat,

Thank you very much for the feedback. As a mechanic I know my limitations but it sounds like I can handle doing what you told me. Considering it went into the mechanic for a failed injection pump and I ended up paying for a burned up starter (The one that went in had less than 1,000 miles on it) and a burned up fusable link that they had to pull the starter to get at . . . I wasn't going to take it back to the same guy anyway. And also he told me I needed to have the glow plugs fixed when actually it was a burned fuse that knocked out the glow plug controller. After replacing the fuse and now knowing that they should have adjusted the vacuum unit to the transmission I will never bring it back to that garage again. Thanks again

Peter J. Bierman
01-26-2005, 12:18
Let us know how you did on the adjustments.

Peter

wvo
02-08-2005, 16:36
OK,

Got around to it today (About time). I went to do the adjustment the next day after reading your responses and realized I had no (Or almost no) vacuum. So I picked up a new vacuum pump today and installed it. Then did the adjustment to the regulator valve. Got it shifting, nice and smooth. 1-2 about 16 - 17 mph. Then 2-3 about 34 - 36 mph. Shifts better than ever (I have only had it for a couple years now) Even found the cruise control line dangling. So I plugged that in and the cruise control even works now.

Thanks again!