PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hoist/Stand

mdregister
01-24-2005, 15:17
Hi all,

It looks like a head gasket replacement is in my near future (more on that in another thread :sigh:).

I think I will pull the engine from the chassis for a couple of reasons:

1. I have never attempted pulling an engine (I am learning as I go), aqnd I bout this truck as sort of a "test-bed" for me tinker on.

2. It seems it may be easier to replace the head gasket with the engine out.

3. The engine needs a good cleaning and painting.

I need a engine hoist and a engine stand. Since my suburban sits up pretty high, even in its stock form. Will a standard engine hoist like the one below, be high enough to get the engine out??

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=7198&R=7198

Will this stand be acceptable??

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?in_merch=1&storeId=6970&productId=19884&R=19884

What else will I need just for the removal and install?? Engine leveler?

Thanks,

Mike

Dvldog 8793
01-24-2005, 18:00
Howdy
I'm no expert but I've pulled a few engines. I can tell you some of the things that I've figured out. Oh and the hoist should be fine, if it gets close just let the air out of the front tires after you get it loose. Any engine stand should work. You can do it with just a short chain and bolts. Make sure you bolt into the maniflod holes that go into a solid part of the head and not a thin water jacket. An equalized/positioner is nice on the install but I've done them both ways. Remove as much of the engine as you can prior to lifting. Remove and clean the radiator/coolers while your at it. Removeing the radiator/fan gives you more room to work. Remove the motor mount center bolts and then when you get enough room remove the mount from the block. You wouldn't believe how those things can get in the way! Flush and clean your trans while your at it, also the torque converter. If your Sub has AC then be VERY carefull bending the flex hoses as the are no longer "flex hoses" after years in the engine bay, and if you bend them they will leak. Take the time to give all you wires/harnesses a good once over and check all the connections. Double check all you grounds. Double check all your grounds. Double check all your grounds. ect....
That's all I can think of right now. Have fun!
L8r
Conley Janssen

TimK
01-24-2005, 20:25
Consider getting an engine stand that can hold 1500 or 2000 lbs. I had my engine on a brand new stand rated for 1000 lbs. It held but there was so much sag in the support post that I placed a 2x4 under the front of the engine in case it broke.

I strongly suggest the engine leveler. It makes the job easier. I used and engine lift similiar to what you are looking to buy. Airing the tires up and down was also a trick I used to get more lift. If you have some extra time, just remove the front radiator and grill support.

TimK

john8662
01-24-2005, 22:09
Since your burb is a 4x4, you can do two things. Let the air out of the tires, or take the tires off, block the axle as low as you can get it. I totally second getting the bigger engine stand, I have a 2k stand, its beefy and doesn't give with a fully dressed 6.2 on it (it's had a few 6.2's on it!!). I've been questioned on the overkeel on an engine that weighs about 750 un-dressed, it's all a matter of how safe you feel, these engine are not light. You'll be happy to lift the engine out of your burb with the already provided loops on the engines, what a difference that makes as compared to pulling an SBC without em.

86burb
01-24-2005, 22:34
Before you remove the hood, scribe around the hinge(or tape around it). This will make reinstalling the hood easier, (it will line up correctly). When you think you have disconnected everything, go over it once more.

cruzer
01-25-2005, 08:04
You can also rent an engine hoist and a leveler,
if you want to save some $. I usually get all the bolts and acces. off, then go get a hoist for a 1/2day or day. It's like $10.00. Do the same thing when reinstalling the engine.

mdregister
01-25-2005, 14:37
Thank you for the replies everyone. All of the hoists I have looked at soo far seem to be made by the same manufacturer, with various stickers and paint colors. I am sure some of the expensive "professional" hoists vary from brand to brand, but the $150-$300 ones seem very similar.

Cruzer, I have considered renting a hoist, but I think it will be nice to have, as this hobby is growing on me.

Mike