PDA

View Full Version : Pump Timing

wfopete
01-24-2005, 06:06
I replaced my worn out timing chain in my N/A 6.2L with with a gear set and noticed a improvement in performance (the chain was REALLY worn). I have never touched the pump timing and the engine has gone over 100K since I bought the vehicle with a total of 342K. But I wondered if there is a maintenance interval for checking the timing? One reason I stayed away from messing with the timing is because of the fear that if it is advanced too far I will damage the motor.

Dieselboy
01-24-2005, 06:25
It's likely that your timing is just back at factor TDC @ 1400, or just slightly advanced. I found my sweet spot to be at 2.5* BTDC @ 1300, but turbo motors behave slightly different from NAs, so YMMV.

To check your timing, you'll need to have on of the following:
</font> 1) a diesel timing meter (Snap-ON MT480, Ford Rotunda)</font></font> 2) a friend with said timing meter</font>
Asjust the pump and settle on a reading, then test it for a week. Repeat as needed until you find your sweet spot.

wfopete
01-24-2005, 17:03
Judging from the increase of diesel "rattle" after the gears were installed I may already be in the to far advanced zone. I just can't tell if it's a Cummins or Powerstroke rattle. :eek: