PDA

View Full Version : Tail Light and Brake Light out....

shamanie
03-10-2004, 12:18
Both the right signal light and the brake light are out.

Wondering where I should start. What should my first few steps be... I had electrical problems, i.e., blown fusible link and a short that was repaired but quite frankly I have no idea if this problem existed before I took it in to mechanic or not.

Any suggestions appreciated.

[ 03-10-2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: shamanie ]

NH2112
03-10-2004, 14:33
I believe the t/s and brake lights are on the same bulb (a 2-filament 1157) so the first thing I'd do is try a new bulb. If that doesn't work, pull the lens and bulb out and use a test light on both contacts to see whether power is getting to the bulb in the first place. If the test light shows a complete circuit, check your ground by hooking the alligator clip to B+ and touching the probe to the metal inside of the bulb socket. If you get a light this way, probe along along the ground wire or strap (it should connect the taillight ass'y bulb sockets to one of the mounting screws) with the light till it goes out and you've found your break.

Edited because I got ahead of myself on the first reply!

[ 03-10-2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: NH2112 ]

shamanie
03-10-2004, 14:59
In my best sean connery voice..."You're the man now dog".

Thanks Phil

britannic
03-10-2004, 20:42
I've had both tail and brake light out and found my connector had separated due to snowpack under the back bumper - just another thought if you find the bulb's OK.