PDA

View Full Version : Question on diesel prices...

Jgreemo
01-18-2005, 16:34
Now that we have run through a few fuel price cycles, I have noticed that especially in So. Cal, diesel prices are not coming down all the fast when compared to gasoline. Diesel is running about 15 cents a gallon more than regular unleaded and up until about a year and half ago, it was always pegged 15 to 20 cents a gallon less.

Figuring on some of cost being due to regional formulations and California regulations, I'm curious what some of you guys across the country are seeing in price per gallon and when compared to gas. San Diego here is definitely a sellers market when it comes to fuel, but with diesel running at $2/gallon and regular at $1.85, I'm feeling a little more burned than usual when it's time to fill up.

Dieselboy
01-18-2005, 17:53
My neighborhood Shell has had diesel at 1.89 for the last couple of weeks, now. Get on the interstate, and it's not difficult to find a truckstop Exxon, Love's, or Diamond Shamrock selling at about 1.75. It's selling at or around the same price as premium or super. :(

Things don't start to drop significantly around here until April/May.

TimK
01-18-2005, 19:14
Here in Battle Ground Washington I have seen prices from $1.97 to $2.07 per gallon. Just further south in Portland Oregon there's a crook across the street selling diesel for $2.32 per gallon.

TimK

dieselcrawler
01-18-2005, 20:05
Here in West Virginia, northern part, south of Wheeling, I paid $2.199 a gal just tonight. Price really sucks, that was one of my main arguements with my ol' man when started running my K-30 full time as a work truck. No sooner did I pull off the awesome huge tires, put on duals and a utility bed, and wow did the price go up.
I figure the pay off for me is about the same now... gas would cost me less, but I'd use more of it due to worse fuel mileage. Can't win.....

Greg

84 Convert
01-18-2005, 21:52
Here in Chehalis, WA halfway between Portland and Seattle, I'm seeing 1.89 at the lowest-priced truck stop and right around $2.00 to $2.10 everywhere else. As soon as I get it set up, I'm gonna try the WVO thing! May be a few months yet.

Gregg

arrowheadracing
01-19-2005, 19:25
Prices by me ( michigan ) are about $1.99. I set up a diesel price area for michigan guys on my website, so guys in michigan can email me and I ll put it up on the site. I figure if we can get together, we can probably find some reasonable places for fuel at a good price. But if your interested there is a site www.flyingj.com (http://www.flyingj.com) that lists fuel prices all over.

Thanks
Todd

RT
01-20-2005, 08:23
Here in Rhode Island the cheapest I have seen is $2.05/gallon but that is 45 minutes from my house. Right near me the lowest is $2.15/gallon. Gasoline is $1.75-$2/gallon. The reason that diesel is more expensive is world demand. In Europe over the past few years diesel vehicles have become very popular. European/foreign refineries are actually over producing gasoline as there isn't as much demand for it now that diesel is more popular. That excess gasoline is sold to the US where it keeps our gasoline prices artificially low. Without this outside influence gasoline would likely be @$2.50/gallon. RT

ZZ
01-20-2005, 18:54
We are running $1.899 here in SE Missouri for diesel. It got up to $2.139 about 6 weeks ago.

coxfmly
01-20-2005, 20:17
It would seem that the oil industry uses Diesel to leverage profits against Gas prices. I have found when Gas goes down Diesel goes up. I paid $1.91 two weeks ago. The station is now selling Diesel for $1.99.
Doesn't it cost less to manufacture Diesel?

SimonUK
01-22-2005, 04:48
Wish we had your fuel prices. $2 is about