PDA

View Full Version : FYI- Auto Zone starters are junk

dieselcrawler
01-28-2006, 11:00
Just thought you all might want to know... I got a starter from Auto Zone in March of 2005, and over the past month, it has gotten slower and slower starting the truck... I thought my batteries were going bad, had them checked, checked all my battery cables, and all were ok. Swaped the starter, it was covered under warrentee, and all is great again... untill it goes bad. Grrr... not something I want to do every 9 months or so... Lifetime warrentee doesnt mean the same starter will last a lifetime, just that they will keep giving you another one for a lifetime (of agrivation).

Greg

ZZ
01-28-2006, 11:54
I learned a long time ago the hard way that AutoZone starters & alternators are usually junk. I had an alternator of theirs to go bad one time and had to go through 5 to get a good replacement. I've bought a few more new ones since then, but I have them bench test them before I walk out with them. It saved me putting on a couple of bad ones.

doncannon
01-28-2006, 18:17
Hello All,

diesel: yes it is too bad they do not pay you to replace them...that starter gets heavy really quick. I would pay just to watch one of them replace it once (the guys that rebuild them of course).

ZZ: Good idea. Had the same problem with thunderbolt brand starters :mad: it gets me redhot when you have to take something out you just put in.

Don

nathan71
01-29-2006, 07:58
My starter wasn't turning very fast so I just replaced my 6 year old interstates with 2 new optima red tops and improved conections. It still turns over the same (slow), just longer now. Time for a starter. I currently have a lifetime starter from NAPA (about 5 years old), no paper work though....I hope they still honor it. I've never found much use for Autozone, although I did get a great deal on my batteries $109.00 each (they didn't get them in when they said they would, and failed to call me).

Barry Nave
01-30-2006, 02:46
AutoZone,Batterys 3yrs and starter 3years.
Weak,bad battery will take out a starter,shorten starter life.