PDA

View Full Version : turbo 6.2

cass
01-17-2005, 19:21
i just bought a cucv m1008. i am wondering where the best and least expensive source for a turbo would be. should i buy a new banks or piece together a 6.5 setup. any other suggestions for engine mods would be appreciated thanks

shamanie
01-17-2005, 21:13
Cass,

If it is any help to you, I was driving down the road a few days ago and there was a little honda civic keeping pace with the car in the slow lane.

The civic wasn't going to let anyone pass. Well when I got the chance I opened her up and absolutely blew by that civic leaving it in a horrendous cloud of diesel smoke that would have left any california fruit and nut freak absolutely balling.

I just smiled, turned the radio up, and kept going. The Banks kit does an admirable job. I'm really happy. It's probably a lot less expensive to do a build your own, but I had neither the expertise nor the resources.

Best of Luck.

john8662
01-17-2005, 21:26
Originally posted by shamanie:
The civic wasn't going to let anyone pass. Well when I got the chance I opened her up and absolutely blew by that civic leaving it in a horrendous cloud of diesel smoke that would have left any california fruit and nut freak absolutely ballingPRICELESS!!! ;)

NH2112
01-18-2005, 01:59
I did something similar to a kid at a stop light in his little mega-bass "street racer." I had an automatic at the time, so when the light went green I just floored it, and if you've ever seen one of those nature programs where they show an octopus blast ink then you know what it looked like. The kid probably looked like Sambo when the smoke cleared LOL

198662T
01-18-2005, 16:53
Well ,I am just finishing my 6.2 with a home made turbo kit built by myself. I will be adding a charge air cooler as well when I get the $$ for the core. All things considered , and this depends on your level of mechanical abilities , i would buy the kit. A lot less hassle any you do get a warranty with tech support if needed.I did not care about this as I am willing to ask this forum and a few local guys for the do's/dont's.
Just my .02 worth. Either way just do it !

Craig M
01-20-2005, 11:35
Cass

Either the Banks unit or one from a 6.5 will work. Price of a new Banks set up is high. Check out Ebay for a used unit. Hardware from 6.5 may be had at a wrecking yard. If installing in 80's GM/Chevrolet vehicle you will have heating box problems in the engine compartment.

nathan71
01-20-2005, 12:00
What type of heating box problems (how difficult to work around)?

6 2 Carl
01-20-2005, 13:44
Since you don't have a/c a turbo unit off of a 6.5L should work without too much trouble. You should be able to get a complete turbo system off a 6.5L at a junkyard for about $500. A new banks kit will cost close to $2000.

Carl