PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L sitting up

rob1681
01-17-2005, 18:22
i have a chance to purchse a 6.2L GM rebuild with 12000 miles on it ,but its been sitting up for 4 years. can you tell me things to do to get is started.motor looks like it was put in yesterday.

thanks

TimK
01-17-2005, 20:37
I would see about turning the engine over by hand first to make sure nothing had siezed up or fluid (water) hasn't gotten in to cylinders. You should feel some compression. If you feel a lot of compression that is good. After about two cylinder compressions, go ahead and pull the glow plugs. Then finish turning the engine over. Test all the plugs while they are out or go ahead or replace them all with new. Change the oil and filter and with the plugs out crank over the engine until you get oil pressure. While your cranking the engine to get oil pressure you can also be priming the fuel system. I wouldn't change the fuel filters until you get it started. The less air introduced into the system at one time the better.
Place the plugs back in, tighten the injector lines and fire it up.

Good Luck.

TimK

rob1681
01-21-2005, 12:57
the golw plug controller is not working it was before sitting up anyone know what to look for

Robyn
01-22-2005, 07:57
Rob.
Depending on the year of the rig its either a small round device that screws into a bracket on the drivers side head or a more square looking device that bolts to the same area. The early one (round) was the controler and then it had a relay on the drivers side fender well the newerm ones are an all in one unit. Also you may need to check to see if it has a temp switch in the rear of the passenger side head that controls when the controler can come on. This will be a two wire switch. Some of the rigs had them to inhibit the glow plug opperation when the rig was warm. Other rigs have a sender on the same head that controls the cold advance and fast idle solenoid.
Good luck
RC