PDA

View Full Version : anti freeze

coxfmly
01-26-2006, 19:17
Hello, I have to pull my radiator this weekend to repair a leak. When I put everything back together what type of anti- freeze should I run in my truck?
Thanks, Paul

Warren96
01-26-2006, 21:59
I have always had good luck with Prestone.Mix it with distilled water.Tapwater has to many minerals in it.Good luck!

CleviteKid
01-27-2006, 08:39
The question may have also been, "Which color, orange, green, pink or yellow?" (Does anyone make a blue antifreeze yet? I mean for engines.)

The orange DEXCOOL with silicates removed is the long-life coolant adopted by GM with Aluminum radiators. I retrofitted my 1984 (with the brass/copper radiator) with DEXCOOL about 10 years ago, and have had no problems.

I HAVE always mixed it 50/50 with distilled water, and change half the charge every year.

Dr. Lee :cool:

RT
02-05-2006, 18:24
I have converted my MB and GM diesel over to Shell Rotella ELC coolant. It is available straight or premixed and I think its supposed to be good for 6yrs or 600,000miles in big rigs. Its a heavy duty diesel coolant. It has perfomed well to date. I can get it at the same distributor I buy my motor oil in bolk from. RT

ZZ
02-05-2006, 21:23
I considered switching to orange this past summer when I had my radiator's leaks fixed till the radiator guy told me several horror stories about late model vehicle problems he's had in his shop.

I decided pretty quick to stick with the green.

I know that Dr Lee has/had good luck with his, but I'm usually one of those if it will go wrong; it will happen to me.