PDA

View Full Version : new replacement 6.2L or 6.5L?

wfopete
01-17-2005, 10:23
My 83 6.2L N/A is approaching the 400K milestone. I plan to keep the vehicle and want to know who offers the most complete replacement 6.2L engine (balancer, manifolds, injectors, electrical). This is a van so critical components have to be right, like the correct (short style)injectors. Is a 6.5L a drop in option that I should consider? What can I expect to pay for a new engine?

More Power
01-17-2005, 15:27
If you run it non-turbo and value fuel economy, insist on any replacement engine having the NA precup cylinder heads. The new 6.5L NA engine comes with the moniker "fuel miser". Some of the following vendors can build an engine to your specs, and can offer a "drop-in" package.

Either Kennedy Diesel (http://www.kennedydiesel.com), Diesel Services Group (http://www.dieselservices.com), orThe Diesel Depot (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/avant.htm) can help. Talk to them all......

MP

TimK
01-17-2005, 20:22
I was very pleased with the new engine I got from the Diesel Service Group up in Sasketoon. I told them I was looking for a complete long block replacement for my 6.2L and that I was also going to install a new Banks Turbo. They made sure when they built the engine that it had the correct pistons for the turbo and adjusted the injection pump for me. The Long Block I ordered came with a rebuilt injection pump, new glow plugs, injector lines and injectors. It also came with a new vibration dampner. I had to supply my own manifolds from my old engine. All the other goodies like the timing gear set and the main bearing stud girdle are listed on their website. I also like that they run tested the engine before shipping it. I had no problems starting this the first time.

I order my Banks Turbo on-line from Peformance Parts. When I told DSG what I was getting the kit for, they were honest enough to say they couldn't be competitive on price for the turbo.

I am very happy customer.

TimK

[ 01-18-2005, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: TimK ]

wfopete
01-18-2005, 05:46
Yes, I talked with the guys at DSG yesterday. They seemed very knowlegable and helpful regarding my questions. Good stuff. For sure a top contender.

john8662
01-18-2005, 10:59
What are your goals power wise and economy wise?

wfopete
01-18-2005, 11:12
Goals:

Reliability and fuel economy. I race motorcycles for weekend fun. So besides getting to and from work and the races that is about it. I tow very little, do not intend to tow anything in excess of 2000 lbs. A little more power would be nice but not at the expense of losing my 700R4 for the third time. I may opt to get a HD 700R4 if the funds are there. But at that point I will be approaching the five figure mark and I'm not sure I can justify that much $ for a 20+ year old daily driver.

john8662
01-18-2005, 13:29
I understand that, you would probably do best to buy a 6.2 from your choice of vendor. Then go an buy all the components separatly, like the injection pump and the injectors, unless you can find a deal on a complete engine.

Jgreemo
01-18-2005, 16:24
I also went with DSG and a complete 6.5L drop in. They were very helpful and with the dollar the way it was 2 years ago, it wasn't too bad with shipping (~$4200). I added a few other goodies that pushed up the final price but overall, I have been very happy with the motor. The turbo I bought directly from Banks and installed myself.

I don't tow much but do run fully loaded and appreciate the power and economy as this thing runs like a big block gasser, but with twice (or nearly) the mileage. It is a lot to spend on a vehicle with a blue book of about $4500, but I am at a loss to think of a suitable replacement that wouldn't cost many times that in payments, insurance etc. The best thing about these Chevy trucks is that parts are cheap and plentiful and if you put the money in the right place, they can be a joy to drive.
Good luck.