PDA

View Full Version : Radiator

britannic
03-05-2004, 21:51
I'm looking for either a reputable radiator shop in the greater Sacramento, CA area to recore my rad with some changes/upgrades, or a recommendation for a good radiator supplier.

I won't need the oil cooler or automatic tranny cooler circuits and it will need to be a 4 row core.

JeepSJ
03-06-2004, 00:41
There is a guy that sells aluminum units on Ebay. They are USA built. My dad lives in Vegas and he has our hot rod El Camino. We could not keep it cool enough in the summer - he couldn't run the a/c because it would overheat. We installed one of the 2 core aluminum radiators and now it will idle all day in traffic with the a/c on with no problems. I'm trying to figure out how I can get one mounted into my Waggy. Here is one of his units - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33602&item=2462949926

rhill2901
03-06-2004, 10:50
I never thought a 2 core radiator would cool as adequate as a 4 core, but I recently installed one in my truck, a two row aluminum radiator, with 2 massive crossover tubes. My truck now warms up rapidly to my 180 thermostat and holds rock solid.

grape
03-06-2004, 10:59
If your into fabrication projects call www.musclemotorsports.com (http://www.musclemotorsports.com) and get a C&R superspeedway radiator. They are usually 4 1" rows with one or sometimes two heat exchangers. Pressure checked and deliverd for under $150. For a radiator that cost a busch or cup team close to $1800 new. The one I'm using out of our speedway truck fits snuggly between the inlet and outlet of a powerstroke intercooler.

britannic
03-06-2004, 13:48
Nice tip Grape, thanks :D !

JeepSJ
03-15-2004, 16:59
Nice one, Grape! The radiator is going to be a challenge because I can only fit something with an overall size of 27" wide and about 20" high. If I can find an aluminum unit with 3 or 4 cores, I should be in good shape.

britannic
03-16-2004, 14:02
I got the 1999 DC intercooler today and was pleased to find that the inlet and outlet flatten to a rounded off rectangle where they join the end tanks. This increases the available gap between the inlet and outlet to 40.5". Which makes it 1/4" too small at either end for the OEM Chevy diesel radiator, but I'm going to get a 4 core aluminum one that'll fit better in any case. I could make the existing the radiator fit with gentle persuasion from a mallet, but that's just not my style :D .

I'll mount it in front of where the A/C evaporator core would normally sit and cut 2 holes in the core support for the inlet and outlet.