PDA

View Full Version : manual engine rotation

Moses
01-16-2005, 18:18
hello everyone,

There's so much infromation in here, but it's quite hard to just search and find what i am looking for . . .

So i ask the simple questions:

how do i manually rotate my engine?
Which direction do i turn it?
and does it take and odd size socket? metric, right?

it felt like i would need a large sized deep socket and a breakerbar with some good leverage.

thanks in advance, best wishes,

Moe

TimK
01-16-2005, 18:53
Moe,

If your are staring at the front of the engine, then it's turning clockwise. Therefore if you have a wrench on the vibration dampner bolts, then turning the bolt from left to right as if to tighten the bolt will turn the engine in the correct direction.

With the drive pulley removed you should have access to the vibration dampner bolt in the end of the crankshaft. I believe this is a 15/16" or actually a metric equivalent since this bolt has metric threads. With the drive pulley on, there is no access to this bolt. I use a flat bar, 1" x 3/16" x 2' bar I got from the metal stock supply at Home Depot. I place this between heads of the drive pulley bolts.

TimK

Moses
01-16-2005, 19:49
hey there,
Thanks for the info Tim.

So if i understand, you're saying that i can rotate the motor without removing the drive pully

john8662
01-16-2005, 20:33
Moses,

Actually you can rotate the engine with the big bolt on the harmonic balancer WITHOUT removing the pulley. The 82-84 6.2's didn't use the dampner pulley found on the 85+ engines. Tim is correct for the 85+ engines though, as you have to remove the dampner in order to even see the bolt (otherwise it looks like its missing). Your 82 engine should just have a pressed steel pulley. All you need to do to bar the engine over is find the right socket, an extension, and your favorite 1/2" drive rachet, and you'll be able to turn the engine, but go clockwise. What cha doing anyways?

NH2112
01-17-2005, 02:08
I have an 85 K10 and just used a 24mm deep socket on a breaker bar to turn the engine for access to the 3 injector pump gear bolts. I didn't need to remove the dampener or anything.

Moses
01-17-2005, 05:54
Thanks for the solid info.

My truck wouldn't start after work last Friday and i ran the batteries dead trying. i got it to cough a few times but it wouldn't start.

Saturday i went out and pluged in the block heater and a charger. Sunday i went out to start'er up, hopefully . . . When i lifted the hood i then noticed the frontmost green wire was loose from the injector pump. ahhh, the simple fix.

So i was pretty happy until i turned the key because that's when i found out that the starter silinoid (sp?) was stuck on the flywheel or it isn't engaging. So now i am thinking i should rotate the motor a bit and try again before i pull the starter.

thanks again gents

britannic
01-17-2005, 05:55
YMMV: I use a socket on the alternator nut and push hard on the middle of its drive belt (to increase the belt's tension) to turn the engine over. The small pulley provides a reduction gear for better leverage. It's convenient, because you can stay topside without requiring an assistant to call out when something lines up.

Moses
01-17-2005, 10:33
quoting myself:

turned the key because that's when i found out that the starter silinoid (sp?) was stuck on the flywheel or it isn't engaging. So now i am thinking i should rotate the motor a bit and try again before i pull the starter. can anyone enlighten me: Is it possible that the starter is stuck on the fly wheel? If so, can i free it up by manually rotating the engine? and lastly, if manual rotation doesn't solve the problem should i pull the starter?

Moe

britannic
01-17-2005, 18:30
It's possible, but you should be able to visually check it, if you have an automatic tranny, by removing the dust cover. Are you getting some kind of noise or symptom that might help us diagnose it a bit further?

Originally posted by Moses:
quoting myself:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> turned the key because that's when i found out that the starter silinoid (sp?) was stuck on the flywheel or it isn't engaging. So now i am thinking i should rotate the motor a bit and try again before i pull the starter. can anyone enlighten me: Is it possible that the starter is stuck on the fly wheel? If so, can i free it up by manually rotating the engine? and lastly, if manual rotation doesn't solve the problem should i pull the starter?

Moe </font>[/QUOTE]

Moses
01-18-2005, 17:44
sorry for wasting your time britannic, i should think more before reposting my stupid questions.

i devoured my starter trying to get the rig going on friday, today i put in another starter. it was a pretty rough start but i drove it into the shop. back to the guzzelin gasser for one more day

KUDOS to Nik's Diesel here in Bend, that ol'fart gave me a starter out his junk pile.

britannic
01-18-2005, 21:20
No problem, we're here to help and no question is a stupid one, if it's asked sincerely. Keep'em coming!

Originally posted by Moses:
sorry for wasting your time britannic, i should think more before reposting my stupid questions.

i devoured my starter trying to get the rig going on friday, today i put in another starter. it was a pretty rough start but i drove it into the shop. back to the guzzelin gasser for one more day

KUDOS to Nik's Diesel here in Bend, that ol'fart gave me a starter out his junk pile.