PDA

View Full Version : Metal in the pan...

Daan
01-15-2005, 08:22
Sorry for the long story...
Couple of weeks ago, I was driving on the highway, when the engine suddenly started making a real ugly metallic knock. Stopped, listened and decided it came from the passenger's side head. It knocked very loud, but not constantly, and it ran very rough, without smoke though. It sounded like a miss. It was so ugly, I towed it home.
I first checked the valvetrain; took off the valve covers and turned the engine over a couple of times by starter. Everything seemed fine.
Injectors checked with a pop tester, they all did their thing, wich can be expected from rebuild injectors with only a couple of hundred miles on them.

So I decided to fire it up. Started instantly, but ran quite rough and now made a new sound at idle: The squeeking sound you get when you're machining steel without enough lubrication. :eek:

When I took out the dipstick there where metal chips at the end of it.... :mad:
So I drained the pan and took these out with the help of a magnetic pen:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/p05d747d1a820e3c5dd3daf4432050664/f576ef87.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/p3f616347c2d6e22b1501bc9dd889f1a7/f576ef8c.jpg

Looks familiar to anyone??

Any ideas about the origin of the chips?

Dropping the oilpan will probalby give me more bad news. Or shouldn't I bother, and just take out the entire engine?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Daan

john8662
01-15-2005, 13:35
Looks like bearing material, but it's hard to tell. I would't waste any time pulling the pan in chassis. Go ahead and pull the engine and get it on an engine stand and take it down, but it doesn't look good.

NH2112
01-15-2005, 15:38
I don't think a magnet will pick up bearing material, but unfortunately most of the rest of the engine (besides the alloy pistons) is made of ferrous metal so regardless of where it's coming from, it's most likely not good. I agree with John, spend a couple hours and pull the engine out.

Peter J. Bierman
01-16-2005, 13:41
I'll agree, pull the engine and tear it appart.
This is not good for sure :(
Even if ist "only"a bearing in the bottom end, you have the stuff all over the engine by now and have to clean it out.
Beside that, that bearing has ruined one or both parts it's supposed to separate.

Peter

Daan
01-17-2005, 07:04
Well, I knew this day would come some time, just didn't expect it so soon!
Gonna take out the engine asap and probably do a complete rebuild if possible. Engine always had alot of blowby anyways...

I'll let you know where the metal came from.
Thanks for your input!

Daan