PDA

View Full Version : LED bulbs in dash gauges

GregCrabb
01-15-2006, 17:51
My dash lights are so dim. I've replaced bulbs a couple times, one of the sockets is touchy, lights sometimes and sometimes not, one is dead, I think it's just worn from 20 years of beating around. Probably needs a new circuit board. Anyway, I just installed some LED bulbs. Right now, 3 out of 5 are lit up, but I can actually see everything just fine. Much brighter than regular bulbs and don't draw any more power or produce more heat. Don't know about longevity though. With the intstrument panel off, I turned my parking lights on just to check before replacing everything, they lit up the interior of my whole truck! They are supposed to be white, but they have a blue cast, like HID headlights do. It looks cool. I almost put in UV to see if the numbers would "glow" like a black light does. ;)

Truck
01-15-2006, 18:51
Are these replacement bulbs, but in LED or did you have to rework some stuff. If they are replacement bulbs, where did you get them, I've never seen any.

Truck

john8662
01-15-2006, 21:02
More Details Please!!

doncannon
01-15-2006, 21:31
Greg Crabb,

I agree with Truck when he said,
Are these replacement bulbs, but in LED or did you have to rework some stuff. If they are replacement bulbs, where did you get them, I've never seen any.
Those led sound great!
Please let us know,
Don

GregCrabb
01-15-2006, 21:52
direct replacement bulbs. I got them on ebay,and they were shipped from Hong Kong. There are others on there now here in the US. They will replace several different bulbs, but the bases are the same. Mine have 6 little LED's together in one bulb about the size of the #168 regular bulb I replaced. They have different ones with more or less LED's in them, for different brightness levels, but still less current draw. Go to ebay motors and type in "168 LED bulb" in the search and you'll find more than you'll ever need. I may try to take a pic, but I doubt it will turn out.
Here is a link to some like the ones I got
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-SUPER-HID-WHITE-6-LED-LIGHT-BULBS-194-168-158-s_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42613QQitemZ803040073 2QQrdZ1
I hope this helps someone else. Like I said, I don't know about longevity, but visibility is definitely better. smile.gif ;) :D :cool:

john8662
01-15-2006, 23:23
How well do the LED replacement lamps work with the in cab dimmer?

Truck
01-16-2006, 05:20
Awesome, thanks!!!

Truck

trbankii
01-16-2006, 05:37
These people also have a selection of replacement "LED bulbs" for various automotive applications:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

snoman87
01-16-2006, 08:41
To increase the light you can also paint the inside of the cluster with a silver or chrome paint. Made a huge difference on mine. painting the back side of the cluster cover will give you a slightly orange color.

GregCrabb
01-16-2006, 17:16
The in cab dimmer works fine for me.