PDA

View Full Version : AC condenser change out

GregCrabb
01-15-2006, 14:11
Hey guys, I just discovered a hole in my AC condenser and I'm wondering if it's possible to remove and replace it without having to drain, disconnect, and remove the radiator? I lost pressure last week, and today when adding some R134, I found the hole. Apparently it has worn where it has rubbed against the radiator in one spot all these years. Radiator is fine, it was replaced after I got the truck...wish I had noticed the contact, I would have stuck a thin piece of rubber or something in there to protect it. After 20 years, I think it's time to just swap a few things out while I'm in there...hoses, accumulator, etc.

More Power
01-15-2006, 15:52
I haven't actually R&R'ed an A/C condenser in an 80's truck, but all others were able to be removed & replaced without disturbing the radiator.

Jim

GregCrabb
01-15-2006, 17:40
I haven't had time to get out there and actually look at what's involved yet. I hope so.

HammerWerf
01-17-2006, 08:27
Greg,
I removed the condensor from my 83CC about a year ago without disturbing the radiator system.

All I did was prepare to remove the radiator. Leave the hoses connected. After you take the top brackets off, just pust the top of the radiator toward the fan. With some wiggling, the condensor will come out. I did not have to remove the fan shroud.

To unbolt the condensor, you'll have to remove the grill, as the bolts go into the rad support frame from the front.

It appeared to me that someone thought ahead to the time when the part would have to be removed for repair.

HammerWerf

GregCrabb
01-17-2006, 20:41
Thanks a lot! I'm probably going to tackle that job in Feb after IRS refund :D arrives.