PDA

View Full Version : no go 6.2L part II

wfopete
01-12-2005, 09:36
RECAP: Last summer I took my 82 6.2L van for about a 2 hour drive. Ran fine. The next norning I started it, reved it up a couple of times and let it idle. After about 1 min. of idling it stalled. Sounded just like it did when the mech fuel pump died in it less than a year ago. You know, it gain RPMs slightly before starving out for fuel. It would not restart.

Fast forward to today:

I pulled the secondary filter (mounted on the engine) and had a STRONG stream of fuel coming out of the fuel line when I cranked the engine. So it appears the fuel pump is doing it's job. I will put on a new filter tomorrow. (I am assuming I have good fuel) If that doesn't work, where else do I need to check. I'm starting to get close to the injector/pump area! :eek:

wfopete
01-12-2005, 09:45
Oh yeah, I'm going to go after that overflow line check valve thingy too! smile.gif

4x4Dreamer
01-12-2005, 11:27
did it surge at all before it died? Mine would run and then it would surge a bit, then sputter and die. Turns out the line from the lift pump had this TINY hole in it. Replaced that and life was good again. Put 3000+ miles on it since then.

wfopete
01-12-2005, 17:08
No, but the funny thing is that the vehicle was not touched for 3 months since it quit running. When I went to check the lift pump for flow today, pressurized fuel would come out of the pump output line. I went around and took the fuel cap off and a bunch of pressure was built up in the tank. Once I released the presure, the fuel stopped coming out of the line. I don't know why I had so much pressure in the tank since the vehicle was not used. Go figure.

Brianlar
01-12-2005, 20:31
With the tank cap off, does the pump still push fuel? Ya can't just pull a line off the Mech pump on the motor, as this is below the fuel tank. Yank a line on top of the motor, then crank a bit.

wfopete
01-13-2005, 02:28
Yes, with the cap off I got fuel to pump out of the secondary filter line on top of the engine. This is a van so I got about a two foot stream shooting between the driver/pass seats. Smells great inside the van now.

Brianlar
01-13-2005, 21:44
Mine went all over the drivers side floor. Could be why my heat don't work now. :D If you get fuel wetting when you crack the injector lines, then you have fuel. Then you check the glows for power, not the controler, with the key on. crank the engine with glows out, you should get a nice puff out the holes. Put them back, then it should fire. Failing that, take a can of fresh fuel, and run that into the pump. Try using a hair drier for thirty minutes on the air inlet. Spray wd40 into the intake manifold while cranking. SPARINGLY, no more than it takes to start engine. Are the glow plug good, less than two ohms resistance? Is the air filter dirty? Is there hope? :D

Robyn
01-15-2005, 13:44
Another bugaboo can be the fuel solenoid in the pump. Check to see if it is powering up. Turn on the key and then pull the large red or pink line off the passenger side of the pump and then plug it back on. You should hear a click if the solenoid is working. If no click its not and you are not going anywhere as this is what turns the fuel on and off (Engine)

wfopete
01-16-2005, 15:29
Ok, we have ignition! smile.gif I put on the new secondry filter, checked the return line for a gummed up check valve. I checked the fuel solenoid and it did not appear to be making much of a "clicking" noise when tested, however I was getting fuel at the injectors when I cracked the lines, so I guess it was good :rolleyes: . After replacing the filter, it seems all it needed was a good bleeding and a jump start. So, I guess I had a bad filter or POSSIBLY a air leak in a fuel line (air leak unconfirmed). Thanks for the guidance guys! ;)