PDA

View Full Version : Van swap?

4x4Dreamer
01-12-2005, 04:41
My poor Jimmy is rusting out from under me, but I dropped a bunch of dough on the engine and don't want to lose it. So here's what I'm thinking.
How hard would it be to swap my 6.2 into a G20 van that currently has a 4.3? It'd be great to have the van for toting the family around, but I'd like to keep the great mileage and personality of my 6.2.
What would be involved? Would I be able to keep my new radiator? There should be room for my 31 gallon tank, right?
Thanks in advance!!

john8662
01-12-2005, 06:55
It's possible, but before you jump into this project consider some things. Your radiator is the same as the vans, but does the van have the right mounts for your radiator? You will also need the fan shroud from a 6.2 van. The van engines were crammed into a tight spot, when 6.2's were concerned, to do this some different brackets were made. You'll need a dipstick thats so long it can check the oil in China.

Then you'll consider the normal conversion obstacles you'll run into. The brake system will have to be converted to hydroboost, the transmission torque convertor will be swapped for the diesel one.

It's the best if you can find another truck/sub/blazer to swap your engine into, the van thing is going to be a little more fun, but if you've got the time.

Salemone
01-12-2005, 07:02
Eric,
What year is the van?

4x4Dreamer
01-12-2005, 08:04
the van is a 1992. It's just kinda cheap is the only reason. I'd rather find one with a happy 6.2 and just buy that, but hey.
The only problem I have with another k5/sub/truck is that they all seem to have the same rust problems, especially in sunny, wet florida.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
01-12-2005, 08:27
Look around. I've been watching ebay and autotrader.com, there are plenty of good solid 6.2 'burbs for sale in the drier areas of the US. Rust will be minimal and you have all of the spare parts you'll ever need. Besides, a 'burb is so much more tinker friendly than a Van, and still has great load and tow ability. If you work on a van once, you'll never own one again. My buddy just extracted a 6.2 from an 86 chev van to put in his k30 and it was ugly. The only saving grace was that the van was scrap anyways, so Tommy the Torch came in handy !

Good luck !
"Real Trucks don't use Spark Plugs" :D

gavio
01-12-2005, 09:07
After several years of owning my 6.2 van, I can definitiely say it's got its upside.....and its got its downside!

Issues to consider for doing this swap would be:

Diesel vans do have some unique parts such as the aforementioned dipstick, water crossover, wiring harness (the engine has a completely different relationship to the firewall, now), fan shroud, A/C brackets (the compressor is scrunched up closer to the head) and prolly some other stuff I'm forgetting right now.

Also, vans use the shorter injectors, so if you don't already have 'em, you'd need to change those over plus new injector lines.

The second battery is located under the floor, so there's a box needed for that, and the batteries are wired up differently.

The hydroboost setup for the power brakes uses some unique hoses since the booster is right above the power steering pump.

Diesel vans use a special noise insulation package which gasser vans don't have - it includes a seperate layer of sheet metal under the floor with insulation on it, plus extra insulation inside. this can be done more effectively with after-market materials anyway, but you'll be wantin' to do something 'cuz without it, it'd be way LOUD in there.

A van is unibody, so fuel tanks and the like are all different from trucks, the good news is that vans already have 33 gallon tanks. The primary fuel filter on a van is located under the floor near the fuel tank, and the secondary filter is located on the intake manifold, but you can do without all that and just do single stage filtering like later factory GM diesels using a Racor or similar and install on the frame under the floor.

Vans are much much harder to do some things on - for example timing is a b---h since the IP is scrunched up under the dashboard :(

However they are much easier to do other things on - such as you can change 6 out of 8 glow plugs or bleed an airlocked IP in the rain without even getting wet! (don't ask how I know...) :D

Sooooooo, is it a good idea? I dunno - depends on your patience level with this sort of thing. It would be way easier if you could find a donor diesel van missing it's engine, but all of the above can be worked around with enough ingenuity and creativity.

Good luck either way!

Brianlar
01-12-2005, 21:12
I worked on a pickup, and own a van. The van is very demanding to modify, due to the confined engine area. Mine came factory equiped with the 6.2, so I have the insulation package, it's still louder inside than the pickup/burbs. You'll need to upgrade the suspension, due to the larger engine. I did engine removal from Chevy, and Dodge vans, and never needed a torch, but had to remove the oil pan, exhaust, and intake manifolds, as well as the bumper, and fenders on the Chevy, the Dodge has fixed fenders. I was grateful for air tools, driveway space, and lots of time. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the heads must be installed in vehicle. I can promise you that completion of the project you propose will bring with it a feeling not unlike that of THE SECOND COMING!!! I would be proud of ya for sure!