PDA

View Full Version : Help with MHI Banks Turbo, att: Dieselboy & Brittanic!

befland
01-11-2005, 17:02
I bought a MHI Banks Turbo from a 7.3 Ford application. I currently have the Banks 6.2 turbo (Swietzer) on my 1983 C10. My understanding is that the only change I have to make to swap in the MHI is the down pipe. Is this correct? What about the airbox and elbow?

Dieselboy and Brittanic...according to Casey you guys have installed one of these? Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks, Bill

Dieselboy
01-11-2005, 18:27
You've got it...almost.

The downpipe does need to be modified from a six-bolt flange to a 3" v-band flange. These flanges are available front big truck parts distributors, and maybe Napa (Brit?). I had an old 6.5TD downpipe laying around, and that flange was a good fit with some small grinding. Just swap one flange for another. Brittanic put a slip adjustment in his downpipe for easier fitment, although I found this wasn't needed for my particular application.

Also, be aware that the compressor outlet is 2.25" while the old turbo was 2". I used a silicone transition coupler there, and will eventually build a new intake tube.

The intake is 3", so your current Nitrile connector will work.

Good luck with your project.

befland
01-12-2005, 15:27
>The intake is 3", so your current Nitrile >connector will work.

My existing one is split. I figured I would replace it when I swapped the turbos. Looks like I'll still have to find a replacement.

Thanks, Bill

P.S. Looked on your website and saw the flange replacement pics. Good job and good info!