PDA

View Full Version : Convert V-belt to Serpentine

More Power
01-11-2005, 11:54
There have been a few conversions that I've heard about. The benefits of doing this include longer belt life, longer belt-driven accessory life, and the ability to use the newer 9-blade fan (either Duramax 21" or 6.5 20") and fan-clutch.

Anyone considering this sort of swap would do well to acquire a set of 1988-1995 6.2/6.5 serpentine components. Whether 6.2 or 6.5, the engines used the same belt accessory components in the C/K body style trucks.

The 1996 or newer components include a really heavy cast iron bracket used to mount the PS pump and A/C compressor. The alternator and A/C compressor used with the 1996+ systems have also been more expensive to replace, in my experience.

MP

john8662
01-11-2005, 12:40
I've considered a conversion using the accesories off of my 95 suburban on a 6.2. I am wanting to convert my 95 6.5TD belt setup to the 96+ setup to get the new style compressor. I think that the later compressors do a better job of keeping me cool than the pancake style compressors do.

I've also noticed the similarity between the 88+ serpentine setup and the up to 95 belt setup.

befland
01-11-2005, 17:18
MP

Not sure if my constant nagging prompted you to make this post or not! :)

I am in the short rows of aquiring everything I need for this conversion. The only thing I'm waiting for is my Harmonic Balancer (ordered it last week). After reading your reply to my inquiry about replacing my balancer I opted to replace it since my truck has over 200K miles on it.

When I make the conversion I also plan a few upgrades...200A alternator, High flow H2O pump, new AC comp, dual crossover, bigger fan, etc.

Even though I have a 93 engine as a donor this has still been a relatively expensive ordeal. The complete 93 engine was cheaper ($450)than a couple of the accesories...and it has the 4911 pump!

Hope my belts hold up till I get my balancer!

Bill

Dieselboy
01-11-2005, 18:05
Check!

I have the parts sitting in my garage, but time to fit them is at a premium. Look for an install sometime after I graduate. :rolleyes:

More Power
01-11-2005, 19:47
If anyone begins to acquire the 1996 or newer components, I should mention that I have that heavy cast iron bracket I mentioned in the first post. It's brand new and collecting dust. All I want is a series of nice install photos and a few words... smile.gif

MP

PS. I also have a water pump pulley to go with it.

PSS. If you can do a bang-up job on the photos and upgrade piece, I'll include a 130-gpm water pump......

john8662
01-11-2005, 20:39
I've got to take a closer look at the conversion to the 96+ components. I have the brackets, the alternator, the a/c compressor, the vacuum pump in preparation for this project. I've just got to work out some details on what it'll take to get it going. I think the biggest problem might be wiring for the A/C compressor and alternator as they swap sides. I guess I still need:

A/C lines (for a sub)
Partial or complete wiring harness
Power steering pump (if mine doesn't work)

I'll do some parts chasing, this will be a good time to convert before summer, and while I have the engine out.

Dieselboy
01-11-2005, 22:03
Originally posted by More Power:
If anyone begins to acquire the 1996 or newer components, I should mention that I have that heavy cast iron bracket I mentioned in the first post. It's brand new and collecting dust. All I want is a series of nice install photos and a few words... smile.gif

MP

PS. I also have a water pump pulley to go with it.

PSS. If you can do a bang-up job on the photos and upgrade piece, I'll include a 130-gpm water pump...... Nice. I want to keep my AC on the driver side anyway. I was fully prepared to machine a one-off bracket for that, but if you're still offering, I'll make the time. If I ask my dad right, I should be able to park the 85, work on it, and drive his 96 daily.

More Power
01-12-2005, 08:43
More details will be mentioned in the 9th Anniversary editorial coming next month, but I wanted to mention that we'll be returning some archive material to the web site. Included in this will be the hi-flow water pump upgrade tech article for the DB2 fuel systems. The components and modifications developed in that article are still in operation on the 6.5 Project engine, with more than 6 years and 155,000 miles of use. Still looks and works great.

Also coming later this spring will be a followup piece showing additional TDP ideas and design elements continuing the same theme. smile.gif

MP